website statistics

European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

3 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Do we really need the European Games? Would a better option not be to build on the European Championships which took place in Berlin and Glasgow in 2018?

That European Championships idea brought no value whatsoever. It's just a few sport Euros bunched up at the same time without much correlation. It was only a failed marketing trick in my eyes.

At least the European Games could be some unique event, which could build prestige and something for the athletes (and fans) to look forward in non-Olympic, non-World Cham. years. But this can only work , if the Federations have the E Games their definitive Euro Champs for the year and not have 2 separate events... But they don't want to do that of course.

25 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

That European Championships idea brought no value whatsoever. It's just a few sport Euros bunched up at the same time without much correlation. It was only a failed marketing trick in my eyes.

At least the European Games could be some unique event, which could build prestige and something for the athletes (and fans) to look forward in non-Olympic, non-World Cham. years. But this can only work , if the Federations have the E Games their definitive Euro Champs for the year and not have 2 separate events... But they don't want to do that of course.

Which is why trying to build on the European Championships concept makes more sense. The truth is we don't need a European Games but the powers that be wanted to bring Europe into line with the other continents. The individual sport's European championships are very competitive and successful in their own rights so why would the governing bodies want to relegate them to the European Games?

37 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Which is why trying to build on the European Championships concept makes more sense. The truth is we don't need a European Games but the powers that be wanted to bring Europe into line with the other continents. The individual sport's European championships are very competitive and successful in their own rights so why would the governing bodies want to relegate them to the European Games?

Agreed. Plus, replacing European Championships with European Games would likely mean reduced participation in all sports with various qualification systems in place. I don't think anyone really wants that.

Sure, using qualification systems works for the Pan American Games, but that's because the depth of nations there is so much shallower.

#banbestmen

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Law & Justice will never offer any financial help to a city mayor from the post-communist SLD :roflmao: Majchrowski's bluff will be called IMO.

That's why Sasin is "responsible" for the Games from their side. If he spent 70 milions on an election that didn't take a place, then how much can he spend on the European Games that won't take a place?

1 hour ago, Vojthas said:

That's why Sasin is "responsible" for the Games from their side. If he spent 70 milions on an election that didn't take a place, then how much can he spend on the European Games that won't take a place?

European Olympic Committees probably don't realize there's an outright war in Polish internal politics going on for the last few years :lol:

I can fully expect EG being moved to a different city in Poland to avoid backlash. The COVID pandemic is a great excuse to justify such a change. Majchrowski obviously played the emotional blackmail card here but I don't think that moves the Law & Justice needle one bit.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

European Olympic Committees probably don't realize there's an outright war in Polish internal politics going on for the last few years :lol:

I’m near certain that they were just happy a city bid for the Games :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela