website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Video Games Thread

bestmen

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well the far-right has been using video games to recruit younger members to their ranks. I don’t really care if a game features Nazi and Imperial symbols for the sake of historical context though. It also doesn’t drive me crazy if they chose not too. 

I like games to have a bit of a realistic feel in terms of overall atmosphere, which is what was one of the strong points of Commandos. Now it's just any random game in any random context with random enemies. Like playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault without any Nazi on the beaches of Normandy, 'because we shouldn't accept they actually existed' :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I like games to have a bit of a realistic feel in terms of overall atmosphere, which is what was one of the strong points of Commandos. Now it's just any random game in any random context with random enemies. Like playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault without any Nazi on the beaches of Normandy, 'because we shouldn't accept they actually existed' :p 

Well obviously my opinion on the issue is tainted since many confederate states choose to raise statues to people that murdered Americans and fought to protect slavery. I’m not in favor of those statues that glorify those people, or people who still find it appropriate to wave the confederate flag, or that still use the n-word or refer to minorities in derogatory and demeaning terms. So to me, this is just the European and Asian version of the argument. I think using something for historical context is fine, like a confederate flag in a museum for example. However, there’s a also a responsibility to make sure that we’re not marketing hatred and indoctrinating people. 

So, in this case, I’d say it’s a little unfortunate that historical accurate symbols were removed from the game. I’ve never heard of the game personally, so I don’t know what it’s like. However, I have other problems with war games and films besides wether or not people include historically accurate symbols.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I think using something for historical context is fine

There you go. Too bad some game developer doesn't agree, but I am now curious to see if I can get the real Commandos game somewhere.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

My favorite example of historical content in video games has to be Battlefield 1. Nothing beats that opening campaign :wub:

Plus, they do a great good of using historically accurate materials, and explaining the history behind each of them. They also do a fantastic job of highlighting diversity with in the theater of war. Arab woman fighting against the Ottomans and Mailan soldiers fighting to back France for instance (I think this is a Battlefield 5 mission actually, but that game is on par with Battlefield 1).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...

After live concerts in Fortnite, now we have free live movies (fantastic selection too).

On 08/05/2020 at 21:04, Olympian1010 said:

FPS games tend to have rather toxic communities. That’s what ended up turning me away from them in the end. 

On 09/05/2020 at 05:45, Werloc said:

You can definitely say that about MOBAs too

Oh, forgot the whole 1v1 fighting scene such as Mortal Combat or Smash, those are toxic AF.

I totally agree. I never actually enjoyed MOBAs and I mostly dislike FPS games (though I'm okay with compelling single-player experiences such as Medal of Honor, Half Life, Metroid Prime, Deus EX), but I love 2D fighting games and it's been a long, long, long time since I've had any fun in multiplayer matches. I miss the arcade scene in the 90s.

Any recommendations about good 2D fighting games? I'm a huge fan of The King of Fighters (especially '97 and '98) and Street Fighter Alpha 3. I heard Skullgirls is a nice game, and it's cheap enough for me to try it and not even regret buying it if it's not really good, so I'll give it a shot. Any other titles?

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

I totally agree. I never actually enjoyed MOBAs and I mostly dislike FPS games (though I'm okay with compelling single-player experiences such as Medal of Honor, Half Life, Metroid Prime, Deus EX), but I love 2D fighting games and it's been a long, long, long time since I've had any fun in multiplayer matches. I miss the arcade scene in the 90s.

Any recommendations about good 2D fighting games? I'm a huge fan of The King of Fighters (especially '97 and '98) and Street Fighter Alpha 3. I heard Skullgirls is a nice game, and it's cheap enough for me to try it and not even regret buying it if it's not really good, so I'll give it a shot. Any other titles?

Double Dragon II, my sister and I played that so much in our youth :d

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Double Dragon II, my sister and I played that so much in our youth :d

These are beat-em-ups. Love these kind of games too! I have Dungeons and Dragons Chronicles of Mystara on Steam (based on Dungeons and Dragons Collection for the Sega Saturn, the greatest console ever) and I'll probably buy Capcom Beat em Up Bundle. But I was talking about one on one fighting games, like Street Fighter and The King of Fighters.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here playing the new Trackmania (or the old Trackmania Nations Forever)? :p 

What a freaking addictive and frustrating game :lol: