website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

Is Ana Padurariu injured?

6f47a628-330d-4791-9e32-6241d84546e1.jpeg

EDIT: She is. This is terrible. Padurariu is the one I was mostly looking forward to in team Canada.

Anyway, Isabela Onyshko replaces Padurariu and this makes the battle for team silver a little more interesting. Canada still has the upper hand, but now it's not impossible for Brazil to theoretically beat Canada's score. Not the best way to do it, because I wanted everyone to be healthy, but let's hope for the best from now on.

Edited by thiago_simoes

On 23/07/2019 at 08:47, thiago_simoes said:

Is Ana Padurariu injured?

6f47a628-330d-4791-9e32-6241d84546e1.jpeg

EDIT: She is. This is terrible. Padurariu is the one I was mostly looking forward to in team Canada.

Anyway, Isabela Onyshko replaces Padurariu and this makes the battle for team silver a little more interesting. Canada still has the upper hand, but now it's not impossible for Brazil to theoretically beat Canada's score. Not the best way to do it, because I wanted everyone to be healthy, but let's hope for the best from now on.

Full article from Lima 2019 available on the Totallympics Media website. I don’t know if it’s anything you don’t know, but I just thought I’d tell you.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Apparently, Jade Barbosa is injured and maybe she will not even perform anymore. It looks like Lorrane Santos is also injured and will only perform on the uneven bars. Brazil's chance for a team medal is basically gone if this is true.

Canada is a lot better than I thought even without Padurariu and silver will be easy to get. Mexico and probably Argentina could get team bronze now. I'm very curious about the outcome of the women's team event.

15 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Apparently, Jade Barbosa is injured and maybe she will not even perform anymore. It looks like Lorrane Santos is also injured and will only perform on the uneven bars. Brazil's chance for a team medal is basically gone if this is true.

Canada is a lot better than I thought even without Padurariu and silver will be easy to get. Mexico and probably Argentina could get team bronze now. I'm very curious about the outcome of the women's team event.

As usual, Brazil gets great scores in competitions no one cares about, but when it's time for the bigger events, half of the team is injured and the other half underperforms :coffee:

4 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

As usual, Brazil gets great scores in competitions no one cares about, but when it's time for the bigger events, half of the team is injured and the other half underperforms :coffee:

If the Brazilian girls have an absolutely brilliant day with no falls, it would not be impossible to beat Mexico, Argentina and Cuba for the bronze medal, but this is a big if. I honestly don't think there's a realistic chance for a medal without Jade. 

With only a few hours to go before the women's competition starts, I'll make some predictions. I'm usually terrible with predictions, so bear with me.

Team all-around: Easy gold medal for the United States. No question about it, unless a huge disaster happens. Canada is in a very comfortable position for silver and the girls should not even break a sweat to earn this medal. Brazil was the favorite to win the bronze medal, but the fact that Jade Barbosa is injured (and no one knows whether she will compete or not) makes things hard to predict. Mexico, Cuba and Argentina are the only nations with a realistic chance of challenging Brazil, but all of them have trouble in different areas. Mexico had to deal with injuries from three gymnasts (Garcia, Moreno and Castro). Cuba has a decent all-arounder (Ferrera) but as a team they are a complete mystery because they don't make international appearances (except for the CAC Games and the Pan Ams). Argentina could be the biggest surprise here, but their recent performance at the South American Championships was not the greatest. If they hit, though, they could seriously give Brazil run for their money. It will all depend on Dominici and Magistrati

My prediction: :USA :CAN :BRA

Individual all-around: Once again, easy gold medal for the United States. McCusker, Wong and Hudd will battle it out to see who will qualify for the all-around final, but gold and silver should be easy for the US. Canada (with either Black or Moors) should take the bronze medal. Black has the edge. Flávia Saraiva could, in theory, challenge for a medal, but she's a dark horse at this point. Argentina's Dominici and Magistrati, Cuba's Ferrera and Peru's Ariana Orrego are long shots for a medal.

My prediction: :USA :USA :CAN

Vault: This is where Canada could realistically win gold and prevent a clean sweep from the US. Olsen is the favorite, in my opinion. Americans Finnegan and Jones will battle against Canada's Black, Cuba's Vidiaux and Chile's Santi for the remaining medals. Dominican Republic's Yamilet Peña could make it to the final, but I don't think she has a chance of winning a medal here. Interestingly, Bolivia has a real chance to make the final. Venezuela could reach the final too.

My prediction: :CAN :USA :USA

Uneven bars: No question about the United States earning gold and silver here. Hurd and McCusker should go 1-2 in this event. Bronze is very hard to predict, though. Canada, Mexico and even Brazil (Lorrane Santos, in special) could take a medal. Argentina could make the final, but it will be hard. This is probably Mexico's best chance for a medal, too.

My prediction: :USA :USA :CAN

Balance beam: This is impossible to predict. Kara Eaker from the United States has the edge, but McCusker is not so far behind. Brazil's Flávia Saraiva is a mystery, and so is Canada's Ellie Black. Magistrati from Argentina has a nice routine, but she depends a lot on mistakes (and I mean big mistakes) from a number of other girls. We can also have some wild surprise popping out of nowhere. I'll go with my heart (and last year's Pan Am Championships results) with this prediction.

My prediction: :USA :USA :BRA

Floor exercise: Once again, very hard to predict. This is Flávia Saraiva's best chance for a gold medal, but whether she can do it is a different story. Except for Jones, all the other American girls have enough potential to score above Saraiva. The Canadians (especially Moors) could create something special here. Cuba's Ferrera is a real threat for a medal if she hits, maybe even gold. Argentina's Dominici is a dark horse and this is probably her best chance for a medal. I have no idea about how the Mexicans can perform here. Puerto Rico could also qualify two girls for the final and maybe even challenge for a minor medal. Surprises could come from Peru and even Chile and Guatemala. In short: this is Sparta. This will probably be the tightest event when it comes to scores.

My prediction: No idea. I'll go with :USA :USA :CUB because I'd be thrilled with a medal for Ferrera.