website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest Discussion

3 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I have one more suggestion, or more like an idea. During the last two Grand Finales I was thinking that the one thing missing is a table showing the progress of the voting, how the ranking changes. After I made that table for the TISC "overall ranking" I realized that it sort of works for this as well. I have added point gaps between each country to show... well, the point gaps. 

This is only just a "prototype table", using the results of the first session of Annual 2020. I am not sure if this would be useful or not, or if it's worth it for the host to mess with yet another table when they are already busy with the scoreboard and many other stuff. I guess it can be just a thing that gets posted at the end of each session. Or it can work as a replacement of the Provisional Top5 ranking (but it's certainly takes more time to make this table than the usual Top5 one). Anyway, I just thought that this might be an idea worth sharing, no hard feelings if you don't like it. :d

#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10
1st :SLO :HUN :ITA :UKR :CAN :CAN :CAN :CAN :CAN :CAN
gap 1 0 4 1 7 5 11 11 14 18
2nd :HUN :POR :POR :ITA :UKR :POR :MLT :MLT :FRA :MLT
gap 1 0 2 1 3 2 2 2 1 4
3rd :GRE :SLO :SVK :CAN :SLO :UKR :POR :POR :GRE :DEN
gap 1 - 1 2 1 3 2 1 0 1
4th :NOR :ITA :HUN :SLO :ITA :SLO :UKR :BUL :MLT :SWE
gap 1 1

-

1 1 1 3 1 1 2
5th :IND :MEX :MEX :HUN :POR :SVK :SLO :UKR :ESP :FRA
gap 1 1 0 1 2 0 1 0 1 1
6th :TUN :IND :UKR :POL :MLT :ITA :SVK :FRA :POR :GRE
gap 1 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 1 1
7th :IRL :GRE :SLO :POR :HUN :POL :ITA :ESP :UKR :ESP
gap 1 - - 2 1 3 0 1 0 1
8th :AUS :GER :SRB :SVK :POL :MLT :IRL :TUN :BUL :POR
gap 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 2 1 1
9th :SVK :CAN :ROU :FRA :IRL :HUN :POL :SLO :SWE :UKR
gap 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0
10th :POR :NOR :IND :MEX :FRA :BUL :TUN :DEN :TUN :USA

Out of

the

Top10

:SVK

:TUN

:IRL

:AUS

:GER

:GRE

:CAN

:NOR

:SRB

:ROU

:IND

:MEX

:FRA

:BUL

:HUN

:ITA

:POL

:SLO

:DEN

:BUL

:TUN

It is definitely something useful and would help to follow the contest, but it is neigh impossible to expect it to be managed by the host since there is a 12 minute change-over between juries. Only solution would just be making 5 templates ready to copy at the end of each session. 

I've heard whispers of some of the hosts making templates for every situation. I personally went with a little bit more of a hectic and risky approach of editing the scoreboards live :d Don't know, perhaps it's the usual way to do it, but I had a lot of tabs opened and when I called in a country to vote, I was already jumping between tabs to their votes and started editing the scoreboard. 

It all looks fine and all, but there were like half of the participants that don't actually post their own scores, so I was jumping between that as well. For some miraculous reason, I don't remember the show being late and I only screwed up by adding 1 additional point to a country twice during one vote. I cherrished every single break that I had that day and if I remember correctly, I just drank a lot of water, but only ate after the whole contest was done :d

1 hour ago, Werloc said:

I've heard whispers of some of the hosts making templates for every situation. I personally went with a little bit more of a hectic and risky approach of editing the scoreboards live :d Don't know, perhaps it's the usual way to do it, but I had a lot of tabs opened and when I called in a country to vote, I was already jumping between tabs to their votes and started editing the scoreboard. 

This sounds like a nightmare. I ran a complete Grand Final simulation in a PM and just copied stuff from there. And even that was maddening at times. :lol:

#banbestmen

9 minutes ago, dcro said:

This sounds like a nightmare. I ran a complete Grand Final simulation in a PM and just copied stuff from there. And even that was maddening at times. :lol:

I have a lot of horror stories from my hosting :p it was a pretty rough time since I balanced my job and October was midterm season at uni and also the fact that the job directly interfered with the grand final date, gosh was that embarrassing. If I ever end up hosting this again, I would be more prepared, I just don't think that I would volunteer to do it, it would have to be a win again that pushed me to take this on.

One thing that I can say was the best decision in my hosting year was the draw where @OlympicIRL created a game, in which you had to micromanage 3 sets of tables, if I remember correctly and he asked if he should host to which I insisted that I'll do it myself. That was the training montage that prepared me for the actual grand final and without that experience it would've been one hell of a mess probably :lol:

• 1 month later...

TISC Annual 2021 - Possible Extension to Period of Song Eligibility

As the curtain comes down on the TISC action for 2020, eyes and ears will soon be turning to 2021 and the upcoming Annual edition.

For the Annual edition, entries are generally restricted to songs released within the previous 12 months. However, due to the COVID pandemic, music output in general hasn't been as plentiful as other years. This in turn means it will likely be more difficult for national juries to find a song they are happy with to put forward to TISC Annual 2021.

As such, I want to conduct a poll to determine if the participants want to allow a little bit more flexibility for this year as a once-off and extend the eligibility period beyond the standard 12-month rule.

I am going to open the poll now and encourage everyone to have their say and if you think anything else needs to be discussed then please write your thoughts here in this thread. Users who have participated in a TISC edition are eligible to vote in this poll and the vote will remain open until 21:00 November, 30th 2020:

Question 1:

Due to COVID-19, should we extend the eligibility period for songs for TISC Annual 2021 as a once-off?

(a) Yes, we should extend the eligibility period

(b) No, it should remain the same

Question 2:

Currently, the eligibility period for the TISC Annual 2021 means that songs released after 1 January 2020 are eligible. If we extend the eligibility period for songs for TISC Annual 2021, how much of an extension should be offered? (Please answer this question even if you answered no to Question 1):

(a) 3 month extension (song released after 1 October 2019 are eligible)

(b) 6 month extension (songs released after 1 July 2019 are eligible)

(c) 12 month extension (songs released after 1 January 2019 are eligible)

I decided to offer a choice between 3 months, 6 months and 12 months which would basically be a freeze in the eligibility period from the last Annual. Maybe a bit drastic but it's up to you all to decide and of course we can also decide not to extend the period at all.

Question 1:

B

It honestly would be interesting to see how Covid shaped up the music industry globally. Perhaps there would be more creative song choices rather than countries going for their number 2 song that didn't get selected for the 2020 contest.

Question 2:

if necessary, then A

Can't wait for the Christmas songs