website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest Discussion

20 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Yeah, I think we should do the group stage + KO rounds format. We will have to figure out how to select jury members for the matches in a fair way (for example, one jury member should only vote for one match per group). I also think that everyone should vote in every round, which means that every jury member should be eligible to vote in the final match, instead of just having a randomly selected jury for the final as well. 

Yes absolutely. So a fair system would be to have each member voting in equal amount of matches in group stage. In knock outs then we can perhaps keep increasing the number of jury members voting in each match. Or at least making sure that every member votes in each round.

And in the final everyone votes.

Ok so I have drawn up a quick set of guidelines. This is just a draft and not complete. I just need to write something down so I have some idea what we are dealing with and to see what users think and want.

Have a read through and comment regarding any aspect. Also, the format of the group matches in terms of match points, let me know if you want a simple format like 3 points for win, 1 point for draw kind of format. And I have written that users can represent the same nation providing they enter a different song? I'm not sure if this is what you want? It's probably the least messy though and allows all participants to be happy that they can choose relatively freely.

We will also need to discuss when jurors get to vote... I mean if we assign 10 jurors to vote in a match and some don't vote then what happens? If we aren't pre-preparing anything then we need to cover those scenarios or else it will become a mess.

Totallympics International Song Contest - Special Event

Rules:

• Participants will represent nations who have never taken part in a TISC event.

• Participants will keep their entries secret and send their choice via private message to the host organiser @OlympicIRL. Participants must not share with each other which song they have entered as this will all be revealed at the end of the contest.

• There will be no multi-juries. Members from the same nation are free to choose any nation they wish so long as that nation has not taken part in TISC previously.

• Participants may represent the same nation, as long as they have entered with different songs.

• The competition will follow a round-robin group stage format followed by a knock-out phase to determine the champions. The specific format will be finalised when the final number of participants is known.

• Each match will consists of 1 vs 1 contests between songs with a select number of jurors (members) voting on each match. The jurors voting will not be revealed until the end of the contest so that the maximum level of secrecy can be kept intact. Jurors will not be involved in the matches of their own songs.

• Where possible, each juror will vote on an equal amount of matches.

• All jurors will be asked to vote in the medal matches.

• The jurors voting in each match will be decided in advance of the contest by random draw and will be kept secret. Jurors will be informed in advance by private message from the organiser as to which matches they will be voting on and the times allocated to their voting schedule.

• The results of the matches will be revealed at a set time each day. The full schedule will be finalised when the final number of participants is known.

Window opens for members to register and enter their song (via private message).

Friday June 19th

Window closes for members to register and enter their song (via private message).

Friday July 10th

Points Scoring Format For Group Stages:

10 Jurors vote in each match:

Win by 10-0 = 5 points

Win by 9-1 = 4 points

Win by 8-2 = 4 points

Win by 7-3 = 3 points

Win by 6-4 = 3 points

Draw 5-5 = 2 points

Lose by 4-6 = 1 point

Lose by 3-7 - 1 point

Lose by 2-8 = 0 points

Lose by 1-9 = 0 points

Lose by 0-10 = -1 point

Well, I don't like the idea of users picking the same nation. Festival of Music never allowed that, and it never created any problems. If someone desperately wants to represent a certain nation (even though it's a side edition, but alright), they should just put the registration date in their diary and make sure they book it on time. :dunno: Besides, having the same nation appear two or three times will make things less diverse and probably more confusing.

As for the group scoring format... I'd prefer to have 3 points for the winner, 1 point each in case of a draw, and no points in case of a loss... That way the competition may go forward even if some user(s) fail to send their preferences on time. Additionally, I wouldn't like seeing users / entries getting diqualified from this edition. If someone fails to deliver their votes, they should still be allowed to vote again in the further rounds.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Well, I don't like the idea of users picking the same nation. Festival of Music never allowed that, and it never created any problems. If someone desperately wants to represent a certain nation (even though it's a side edition, but alright), they should just put the registration date in their diary and make sure they book it on time. :dunno: Besides, having the same nation appear two or three times will make things less diverse and probably more confusing.

As for the group scoring format... I'd prefer to have 3 points for the winner, 1 point each in case of a draw, and no points in case of a loss... That way the competition may go forward even if some user(s) fail to send their preferences on time. Additionally, I wouldn't like seeing users / entries getting diqualified from this edition. If someone fails to deliver their votes, they should still be allowed to vote again in the further rounds.

No one will be disqualified for not voting, there is no need for that.

And about the nations, that's fine too, first come first serve, all complaints go to @dcro  :p

We can go for any match points format, like I said, it is of no difference to me really.

But we need solutions for every scenario as well as exact format for when each voting round begins. Because the problem is, I will also not be available every day so it's very tricky with this format of voting day-to-day.

I think we should set a minimum number of jurors who has to vote for a given match. For example, we draw 10 jurors for a match, and as long as at least 3 jurors voted before the deadline, the match will have an official result, even if 7 jurors missed the deadline. If less than the minimum number of jurors voted for the match, the host picks new jurors with a draw until we reach this minimum threshold. 

3 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I think the easiest way to solve the jury voting in each match is just to allow everyone to vote in each match except for those jurors who have songs in that group.

Yeah, this is the easiest solution. It might make this predictable, but at the same time it's the least messy and most democratic way.

For the group matches, I guess you can first randomize the list of jurors, and then randomize the list of matches for each juror. Each juror then gets allocated to the jury panel of the set number of matches (for example, they get allocated to the first 10 matches listed on their respective randomized list). If one of those matches is already filled, then the juror gets allocated to their 11th-listed match and so on.

That way the jurors will be asked to vote in the same number of matches (give or take 1 match). Although, maybe there is a quicker way to allocate jurors. :mumble:

#banbestmen

Just now, Vektor said:

Yeah, this is the easiest solution. It might make this predictable, but at the same time it's the least messy and most democratic way.

I think in my original plan having random jurors for each match seemed reasonable as i thought everything was going to be pre-planned and all votes cast in advance. That way we would know the number of participants, how to equally divide the juries so they vote in same amount of matches etc. But it's too messy now and I foresee a lot of headaches as it will be a day-to-day thing.

So yes I think where possible having the easiest solutions is going to be how to organise this. Alternatively, I am happy to hand over management of the contest as surely others will make a better job of it in the time given. I just can't dedicate enough time over that period unfortunately so that's why I'm looking at the most manageable options.

I have one more suggestion: we should have groups of 4 in the group stage, regardless of how many songs will be entered. Users might get bored of the contest if we will have more than 3 rounds in the group stage.