website statistics

Summer Olympics Games 2020 Opening Ceremony Flag Bearers

17 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

Male from table tennis would make sense. But I would dare to disagree. In my opinion female will be Wu Jingyu (taekwondo). Olympic champion 2008,2012 amd after missing Rio due to pregnancy she will fight for her 3rd Olympic title. 

In terms of Olympic spirits, Wu Jingyu is a perfect candidate. But in terms of influence, fame and importance of group ball sports, Zhu Ting is currently the no.1 female athlete in China who helped won Rio Olympic gold medal.

7 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

In terms of Olympic spirits, Wu Jingyu is a perfect candidate. But in terms of influence, fame and importance of group ball sports, Zhu Ting is currently the no.1 female athlete in China who helped won Rio Olympic gold medal.

I understand what you mean. Well, generally, both would fit well. Zhu Ting occupies many advertisements here in China, on the other Wu Jingyu - dont know about any. Zhu Ting is more publically known. It's true that she may win this "contest" as the whole nation knows her. Let's see. 

I wonder if we are going to have two flag bearers. We already selected Anna Korakaki. We have two other former gold medalists on the team but both are women. We have Petrounias who might qualify but he would be competing the next day. Unless we choose one of Mantis/Kagialis (bronze medalists) or a famous person like Tsitsipas or Antetokounmpo. I hope not though because neither one has ever even been to the Olympics and I don't want one of them to take the spotlight away from Anna.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For :ARG the frontrunners are still Santiago Lange and Cecilia Carranza. But the tennis federation nomimated Del Potro and Nadia Podoroska. Decision to be made by tuesday or wednesday next week. I still can´t believe Del Potro will play in Tokio, so it would be a total surprise if they choose him.