website statistics

Wrestling UWW Asian Championships 2019

Totallympics

9 hours ago, MHSN said:

well I watched most of the competition, all of the medal matches and most of the preliminary rounds (of course you can't watch 3 mats at the same time)

first I have to say winning 4 medals is a great result for India. but I have to say luck also played a little factor here. at least for some of them. for example 60kg guy only had to beat Chinese Taipei and Jordan to win the bronze. and he lost 9-0 in semifinal in less than 2 minutes to Bakhromov. if you check the results , most of your defeats were quick 8-0 in first period. why ? because they can't defend well in par terre. and one caution is usually enough for the opponent to score big points in par terre and finish the match quickly. all of those 3 finalists had to come back from being down (2 of them being down 5-6 points) to win the match. because they "survived" the parterre and then destroyed the opponent by being physically tough.

I can't remember the last time India beat Iran in Greco-Roman in senior level. (I'm sure it happened before but no match comes to my mind right now) not because we have the best Greco wrestlers in the world. mostly because our wrestlers have more or less the same style as yours and a bit better. you can't beat Iranian wrestlers by "being tough" and tiring them down. we have problem with Kazakh and Kyrgyz wrestlers for example because they are technical. they can score big throws . Indian wrestlers are less technical but if you don't score big early in the match they will beat you in second period. just an example. we have a wrestler world bronze medalist Mohammad Ali Geraei his style is different than the rest of our team. he is much more technical and less "physically strong" he dominated everybody at the Asian Games, but his only close match (which he almost lost) was against your wrestler Gurpreet. he was very close to finish the match 8-0 in 2 minutes but then he only won the match narrowly 8-6. and he would lose the match if there were 1 minute more left. and then Gurpreet lost easily in repechage to the Chinese wrestler Geraei teched easily.

two of your 3 finalists lost easily, no surprised they faced World and Olympic medalists in the final. your 87kg guy (I didn't know him before) made it really hard for our Hossein Nouri (we consider him an Olympic medal candidate) he was impressive. even though I can say Gurpreet Singh is the best Greco wrestler you have right now.

my point is. your wrestlers still have certain weaknesses. mostly in defending parterre. that's what they have to work on if they want to improve to another level. but still this was a very high level competition, and winning 4 medals was a great result. you have chance to qualify 1-2 wrestlers for the Olympics. but of course that will depend on the draw and also how many Asian wrestlers qualify in the World Championship to make room for the others. with only 16 spots available in each weight, it will be harder for everybody to qualify.

thanks Bro .... great feedback ... our best chances sunil in 87 Kgs and Gurpreet in 77 ( with gyanender in 60 and harpreet in 97 as long shots )  ....in fact we have another wrestler Sajjan in 77 who is also great ( twice junior world medallist - silver in 2018 ) who I really believe has it to be the best Indian Greco wrestler since pappu yadav ... he is still 19 only ( came a close 5th in the under 23 worlds in 2019 ) 

Incidently Pappu yadav and kartar singh may be the last few greco roman wrestlers of India who defeated Iranian wrestlers ( Kartar way back in 1983 ( in the final of 100 Kg  asian championship ) and early 1990s pappu yadav did win a couple of gold medals at the asian level. That was 40 or so years back :facepalm:

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi