website statistics

Biathlon 2019 Off Season Discussion

RobtheAggie

Just now, RobtheAggie said:

That is too bad.  To they really have a better shot with cross country over biathlon?  

Very much, yes. At least if you mean in terms of qualifying for the Olympics. In biathlon that was hard until 2014 and near-impossible after that if you're from a nation like Brazil, especially now that quota reallocation seems to be non-existent. In XC, the three main Brazilian women will all no doubt reach the qualifying standard if nothing weird happens, there it's a matter of fighting amongst each other (with some rather mediocre twists and turns) for the one quota.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Interesting quote from IBU President - 

"We are the International Biathlon Union, so we have to look at how we can become a worldwide sport," he said.  "We are currently very Europe-focused.  The Olympics are in China and we need to look at how we can take advantage of this.  We are already discussing with the Chinese biathlon federation how to have long-term development in China.

We need to look at development across Asia and North America. We need to take this a step further and develop a strategy on this."

I would love to see a dedicated IBU CUP series in Asia and North America.  Not to replace the IBU CUP, but on the next level down. I know in NA there is already a series, like in Russia and Norway.  Elevate the NORAM series into a formal IBU series.  Give it more visibility.  Start something in Asia with a race in the following venues:

Korea - Pyongchang

Japan - Nagano

China - Zhangjiakou

Kazahkistan - 

NZ and Australia could host as well, just in the opposite season.

Give it visibility on the IBU website.  Visibility is the key.  I would love if the IBU Calendar would show much more than simply the World Cup, IBU Cup, and Youth/Junior and the Euro Championship.  I would love to at least see a small write up/results about the 3rd tier of the sport.  But I have always been a sucker for the little guy.

Edited by RobtheAggie

Pretty good idea. Much better than starting with World Cups out of the blue there...Pyeongchang's world championships still frighten me in terms of how few people were there. An Asia IBU Cup starting in Mount Hotham and then going to Japan/China/Korea/Kazakhstan, excellent :d  Possibly even something in Mongolia, since they have a significant presence in the IBU Cup.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Laura Dahlmeier has retired: https://www.sportschau.de/wintersport/biathlon/laura-dahlmeier-verkuendet-karriereende-100.html

She says, that she didn't feel the passion anymore that is necessary for this sport. 

I have lost 5 liters of tears in the past hour :cry: cry.gif

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

Another Efrurt case getting public tomorrow?

Just kidding... Or am I?

hqdefault.jpg

:mad: 

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Another Efrurt case getting public tomorrow?

Just kidding... Or am I?

Would be too good to be true to finally see Kuzmina getting caught. :(

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.