website statistics

Golf Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

hckošice

11 minutes ago, Agger said:

Branden Grace is next to withdraw, meaning that the 3 best south african golfers will not go.

Graeme McDowell as well. 

The only positive thing is that it may give 2 of the good old players a chance as Padraig Harrington is next in line for Ireland and Retief Goosen isn't that far away for South Africa

Though to be fair, I don't think people will say "OMG, Branden Grace won't go to Rio!"... 

And about McDowell, it seems as though he was already long clear that he didn't want to leave home at the time his wife might be giving birth :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Though to be fair, I don't think people will say "OMG, Branden Grace won't go to Rio!"... 

And about McDowell, it seems as though he was already long clear that he didn't want to leave home at the time his wife might be giving birth :) 

Well. He is no. 11 on the World Rankings.

1 minute ago, Agger said:

Well. He is no. 11 on the World Rankings.

Seriously? I must admit I never heard of him even though I do watch quite some golf during the year... 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I honestly hope after 2020 this sport is dropped from the Olympics. With 120 quotas you can add squash and make baseball and softball at 8 teams each...

It's way, way too early to judge. I'm guessing IOC might lose patience, but if they're being fair, they wait at least until 2024. 

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Seriously? I must admit I never heard of him even though I do watch quite some golf during the year... 

He has 2 wins and another 3 top 5 places this year (including tied 5th at US Open)

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I'm sure he would be fine with missing the birth if this was US Open or something.

#banbestmen

19 minutes ago, dcro said:

I'm sure he would be fine with missing the birth if this was US Open or something.

I don't know, it's not like it's so incredibly uncommon for athletes to miss a big competition because of this kind of reason. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think that it's the time for remove golf by Tokyo 2024. Almost all athlete retired by games for economical reason. In a PGA if you'll finish in 4th place you'll win a lot of money instead at Olympic Games, if you'll finish in 4th place, you will not win anything.

In the PGA Tour or similar, you promote your sponsor whit clothes or similar and you receive money in return instead at Olympics you must dress whit national clothes.