website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Your Own Excercise Thread

Agger

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Y’all should come train with me in the 100F dry heat.

That sounds better than the 25 degrees but terribly humid of today. My warmup was 3.5km, the first 2.5km of which was in a very easy pace, with a low heart rate, plenty of times I barely break a sweat when running in that relaxed pace (roughly 6:40/km)....now sweat was just pouring down my head non-stop. At least for shorter distances this weather isn't so bad for the muscles.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That sounds better than the 25 degrees but terribly humid of today. My warmup was 3.5km, the first 2.5km of which was in a very easy pace, with a low heart rate, plenty of times I barely break a sweat when running in that relaxed pace (roughly 6:40/km)....now sweat was just pouring down my head non-stop. At least for shorter distances this weather isn't so bad for the muscles.

Only downside to where I live is the 20-40mph winds that we get. Skating into a 40mph head wind is the worst! 

Humidity is absolutely worse then dry heat.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Right, I forgot my time :p 

As planned, I opened fast and after 200 meters or so tried to get into a bit of a rhythm I might be able to finish with. First half kilometer, thanks to the fast opening, went in 1:49, after which the second half kilometer went a little under two minutes...meaning I already had my first ever sub-4 minutes kilometer done and dusted - while still very much dying with a capital D because I was only at two thirds of the race. Somehow I managed to keep my speed above 15km/h (needed for sub-6 minutes), and eventually finished in a rather surprising 5:40.5 :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Only downside to where I live is the 20-40mph winds that we get. Skating into a 40mph head wind is the worst! 

Humidity is absolutely worse then dry heat.

Free strength training :d 

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Free strength training :d 

Not when you’re a tail, slender endurance athlete like myself. I get blown about like a parachute.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Not when you’re a tail, slender endurance athlete like myself. I get blown about like a parachute.

So you need the strength training :evil: 

Yay nature :cheer: 

So uhm...

I made it!

But man that was a tough one! The first half felt pretty decent though a couple of red lights stressed me a bit meaning a couple of periods at a higher pace than planned. But when I started a climb at about 14km it felt very clear that the temperature was getting to me. I "saved" it by changing the last part of the route to the nearby forest to get into the shadows, but that didn't help enough to stay running for the rest. I did try running a few times but I crashed mentally every time after half a km or so. Therefore the time was nowhere near the last one, but I learned a bit about how my body behave on longer distances in the heat and did get to take on the lovely medal with the time 2:09.32

Now it'll be a period of shorter distances before I start preparing for the postponed "real" half in october.

29 minutes ago, Agger said:

So uhm...

I made it!

But man that was a tough one! The first half felt pretty decent though a couple of red lights stressed me a bit meaning a couple of periods at a higher pace than planned. But when I started a climb at about 14km it felt very clear that the temperature was getting to me. I "saved" it by changing the last part of the route to the nearby forest to get into the shadows, but that didn't help enough to stay running for the rest. I did try running a few times but I crashed mentally every time after half a km or so. Therefore the time was nowhere near the last one, but I learned a bit about how my body behave on longer distances in the heat and did get to take on the lovely medal with the time 2:09.32

Now it'll be a period of shorter distances before I start preparing for the postponed "real" half in october.

Sometimes you've got a great day, sometimes circumstances make it harder, it happens. Great job on not giving up and getting to the virtual finish line anyway!

Right, D-Day: the fourth, longest and final distance of this little competition, 5 kilometers. I have to run sub-24 to keep my position, my PB is 24:17, a little over a year ago, and based on what I've done in the past one and a half month (faster times than I'd ever imagined on 500m, 1500m, 3k and 10k) I know I can and probably 'have to' set a pretty strong new PB, but boy...is it gonna hurt. I'm expecting pretty much the toughest battle of all distances, especially mentally, where the bad humidity today isn't going to help. Time to play Jens Voigt on a loop in my mind.