website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Your Own Excercise Thread

Agger

4 hours ago, Agger said:

More than 4 minutes slower than the walkers PB :p (Danish Champion Andreas W Nielsen)

Time to do the family tree on my fathers side. Nielsen v. Nelsen, there’s not a big difference there. Everyone on my dads side (I would be 5th generation American (I think)) has always maintained that the name is Danish, but Norwegian was spoken by my great-great grandmother. 

That part of the family would have immigrated during the immigration boom of the late 1800s most likely. It is known that two brothers came to the US. Immigration authorities were known for being xenophobic and uncaring. Generally, they just fucked up people’s names because they didn’t care. So it is known that one side of that family got Nelson (the British version of the name) and my side got Nelsen (what we’ve always called the Danish version of the name). 

Personally, I’ve always thought the original name was Nielsen or something similar. I’ve never met a Nelsen outside my family. We’ll probably never know the truth as no one on my dad’s side seems to care.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

Well. After 2 weeks lacking a bit of motivation, I've now registered for the Wings for Life run to get a good run sunday. I guess my target will be at about 18km, but it'll be all about the motivation. Could be more or less. Anyone else joining?

21 hours ago, Agger said:

Well. After 2 weeks lacking a bit of motivation, I've now registered for the Wings for Life run to get a good run sunday. I guess my target will be at about 18km, but it'll be all about the motivation. Could be more or less. Anyone else joining?

I'm not running with my phone, which I think is necessary? 

Besides, I have an online ekiden (marathon relay) on a Dutch forum, where we have seven teams of six people. The marathon distance is split up in six stages: 5km, 10km, 5km, 10km, 5km, 7.2km. For every stage there are four days in which people can do their stage, tomorrow is the last day of stage three. Teams are put together based on everyone's target time, where the organizer tried to make the teams as much equal as he could - the estimated finish times for the seven teams ranged from 3:31 to 3:42 roughly.

I'm doing the second 10km stage (stage four) in my team, so Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday (most likely Monday) with a target time of 56 minutes :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Kept it going for 1:47.35 meaning 19.18km. Was a bit too motivated meaning that I went out way too fast (more like a 10km pace than one for double the distance). Managed to keep it going for about 11km after which I started to strugle, meaning somewhat slower speed. Kept fighting until about 16,5km. Then I had to walk for a bit. When I saw that I still had a decent distance to the chasing "car", I gave it a go for a km and then another one.

I guess with some better pacing, I could already do a half marathon now. But it'll wait for 1½ month.

Now I'm just following my team captain, Camilla Pedersen who has passed the marathon :p

25 minutes ago, Agger said:

Kept it going for 1:47.35 meaning 19.18km. Was a bit too motivated meaning that I went out way too fast (more like a 10km pace than one for double the distance). Managed to keep it going for about 11km after which I started to strugle, meaning somewhat slower speed. Kept fighting until about 16,5km. Then I had to walk for a bit. When I saw that I still had a decent distance to the chasing "car", I gave it a go for a km and then another one.

I guess with some better pacing, I could already do a half marathon now. But it'll wait for 1½ month.

Now I'm just following my team captain, Camilla Pedersen who has passed the marathon :p

If you manage to keep going for a little over 19km in 1:47 already, there is no doubt at all you could do a half marathon now with a bit more controlled start :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 02/05/2020 at 11:16, heywoodu said:

I'm doing the second 10km stage (stage four) in my team, so Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday (most likely Monday) with a target time of 56 minutes :p 

My PB was 53:15, no idea how I did that in October 2018 (which is barely a few weeks after I was first even able to run 10km), probably being 6-7kg lighter helped. I did my run this morning, going for 5:30 average (55 minutes), but in the end every single kilometer was under 5:20, and a good number was under 5:10 :yikes: 

Spoiler

51:35 :yikes: :cheer: That was as painful as I've ever had during a run I think, maybe apart from the fastest 5k I ever did (slightly above 24 minutes)

• 4 weeks later...

So...

Went out for what was supposed to be my penultimate distance training pass before the half marathon. The plan was 17-18km with pretty much the setup that I was planning to go with on the 14th (2 bottles of water and 3 isotonic gels) running 2 different loops (1 about 5km and the other 4km). And well... I ended up with this :p 

100596485_10221988683522712_472830167336

Things really worked out starting at about 2-hour pace and putting on a bit more speed at about 7km and again at 15km (which was when I started considering going the full distance). I did get a bit of problems for the last km or so making me walk the last 400m due to a slightly painful right hamstring. I don't think it's something too bad (it's already better after some good stretches) but didn't want to risk it as I'm still planning to go for it the 14th. Considering that the last 2 days haven't been anything close to the perfect preparation, it may feel even better.

Dude that is really impressive! :woohoo:

@Agger great run, congratulations!

My running club has restarted its training with a social distancing protocol, so I finally ran intervals with a group again yesterday! Felt good to be running together again.

Ugh, I get to enjoy road rash for the next 2/3 days. I just wish people would clean up the streets and desert areas around here.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela