website statistics

Olympic Games Recreations and Other Olympic Themed Events

Olympian1010

13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m going to just throw this out here, and see what people’s opinions are...

So obviously there’s no Olympic this summer. There’s most likely very little international sports this summer. Plus, there’s the probably there’ll be many us stuck at home voluntarily or ordered to. So I can (attempt) to offer the following alternatives:

As some of you know, I like to build mock Olympic Parks and Venues in the video game Minecraft. I’ve hours in the game recreating sports, building venues, etc. I would be down to host a virtual form of Olympics (called the Summer Games so the IOC doesn’t chop my head off) with either one of two possibilities -

The first is that I would some of you, or other interested players on to the my servers, and we’d just compete amongst ourselves. 

The second is a little more complex and silly. I’ve been figuring out how to have a “playerless” Summer Games for a while now, and so I’ve come up with ways to have NPCs (non-playable characters) compete in events. I could host the games this way as well, and the NPCs could represent countries with members on Totallympics.

Both of these options would come complete with full “live” streaming, results pages, schedule of events, medal tables, games logo, games mascots, etc. I’ve been looking for ways for myself and @Vojthas to get some commentary practice, and I think this would be a fun way to. 

I welcome everyone’s opinion to this. I will say that I will not bother with any of this unless some interest is shown from the community.

When I was in high school I made a 'stadium' with four waterways and did an 'inter mob aquatics championships' where I basically measured which mob got to the end of the waterway first. Then I did the same thing with items. I don't remember what the fastest mob or item was, haha. 

But a Totallympics Minecraft Games sounds fun honestly, I'd be down

13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m going to just throw this out here, and see what people’s opinions are...

So obviously there’s no Olympic this summer. There’s most likely very little international sports this summer. Plus, there’s the probably there’ll be many us stuck at home voluntarily or ordered to. So I can (attempt) to offer the following alternatives:

As some of you know, I like to build mock Olympic Parks and Venues in the video game Minecraft. I’ve hours in the game recreating sports, building venues, etc. I would be down to host a virtual form of Olympics (called the Summer Games so the IOC doesn’t chop my head off) with either one of two possibilities -

The first is that I would some of you, or other interested players on to the my servers, and we’d just compete amongst ourselves. 

The second is a little more complex and silly. I’ve been figuring out how to have a “playerless” Summer Games for a while now, and so I’ve come up with ways to have NPCs (non-playable characters) compete in events. I could host the games this way as well, and the NPCs could represent countries with members on Totallympics.

Both of these options would come complete with full “live” streaming, results pages, schedule of events, medal tables, games logo, games mascots, etc. I’ve been looking for ways for myself and @Vojthas to get some commentary practice, and I think this would be a fun way to. 

I welcome everyone’s opinion to this. I will say that I will not bother with any of this unless some interest is shown from the community.

I mean archery/athletics/swimming/fencing would be easy to adapt. Could be creative with the others as well. Soccer you could push a minecart around on rails or something. Sailing could just be a boat race. Biathlon could involve shooting buttons from a distance. 

Alright, I’m little surprised by the initial response (fully expected no one to care, so this is going better than expected :p). I’m going to leave the discussion open for another day or two before I really start making some decisions. For now it seems like the 2nd idea has good amount of support. However, there’s also some interest in the 1st, so I’ve start very preliminary planning for both. I still love for users to give their opinions (check the last page for post), so I can gauge a little more of the support for one idea or the other.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

All I know about Minecraft apart from how to get wood is that you can dangle a carrot on a stick in front of a pig to make it run while you're on it. Is that an event?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

All I know about Minecraft apart from how to get wood is that you can dangle a carrot on a stick in front of a pig to make it run while you're on it. Is that an event?

In itself? No. Used as a function for an event? Yes.

I’m feeling more like option 2 will be a bigger challenge, but that it would be better in the long run.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

In itself? No. Used as a function for an event? Yes.

I’m feeling more like option 2 will be a bigger challenge, but that it would be better in the long run.

Honestly I think option 1 would be more fun. I mean there's not much you can do with NPCs. 

55 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Honestly I think option 1 would be more fun. I mean there's not much you can do with NPCs. 

I’ve spent way too much time on trying to prove that wrong, but the options are indeed limited. 

The problem with option one is that I need at least 6-7 people to make it fun/worth my time. So 1 person (you) seems down to try it, and another user seemed willing to try it. I can look around for more players, but I know for certain that we’ll need more than 2/3.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ve spent way too much time on trying to prove that wrong, but the options are indeed limited. 

The problem with option one is that I need at least 6-7 people to make it fun/worth my time. So 1 person (you) seems down to try it, and another user seemed willing to try it. I can look around for more players, but I know for certain that we’ll need more than 2/3.

Sure. Maybe make a dedicated thread about it and see what interest there is.

Can one play Minecraft for free? Some kids at the place where I study and work (there are students aged roughly between 15 and 30, so yeah :p ) keep pushing it all the time, but most people - including me - haven't started with it because we just don't really get what one can do apart from building stuff :d At least a shooter or strategy game or whatnot has the feel of some sort of competitiveness.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Forget Formula 1 2020 or FIFA 2020, I’m playing Marbula 1 2020:

It actually looks like a well made, fun game. It has multiplayer and will be free. The creator isn’t sure when they’ll be finished.