website statistics

Women's Football AFC Asian Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2018 - 2021

Totallympics

• 4 weeks later...

Usually nobody cares about the 2nd round of the qualifiers in Asia. because teams here are weak never can qualify for the Olympics but this time this competition made the headline here. Iran is with Palestine, Philippines and Chinese Taipei in the same group and AFC/FIFA just announced Palestine as the host for this group. sounds OK so far but the problem is Iranian citizens can't travel to the occupied land of Palestine and now this is a weird situation, our federation claims they already told AFC/FIFA about that before the draw but now they can't participate unless they change the grouping or the host ! and both scenarios look unlikely.

not facing Israeli athletes is an unwritten rule but this one is a written official rule and everybody knows that. even though in my own personal opinion the whole thing is stupid. but I want to see how FIFA/AFC will deal with that. will they ban Iran for not going there ? if they do that, that will be double standard because couple years ago Saudi Arabia was in exact same situation during 2018 World Cup Qualifiers and they forced Palestinian team play in Jordan instead of Ramallah in West Bank.

5 hours ago, MHSN said:

Usually nobody cares about the 2nd round of the qualifiers in Asia. because teams here are weak never can qualify for the Olympics but this time this competition made the headline here. Iran is with Palestine, Philippines and Chinese Taipei in the same group and AFC/FIFA just announced Palestine as the host for this group. sounds OK so far but the problem is Iranian citizens can't travel to the occupied land of Palestine and now this is a weird situation, our federation claims they already told AFC/FIFA about that before the draw but now they can't participate unless they change the grouping or the host ! and both scenarios look unlikely.

not facing Israeli athletes is an unwritten rule but this one is a written official rule and everybody knows that. even though in my own personal opinion the whole thing is stupid. but I want to see how FIFA/AFC will deal with that. will they ban Iran for not going there ? if they do that, that will be double standard because couple years ago Saudi Arabia was in exact same situation during 2018 World Cup Qualifiers and they forced Palestinian team play in Jordan instead of Ramallah in West Bank.

It'd be rather stupid to ban Iran for not going to country X if Iranians are not allowed entry to country X...sort of like the IOC/FIFA/something banning Kosovo if Serbia doesn't allow their athletes to compete in Serbia for example.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

It'd be rather stupid to ban Iran for not going to country X if Iranians are not allowed entry to country X...sort of like the IOC/FIFA/something banning Kosovo if Serbia doesn't allow their athletes to compete in Serbia for example.

oh I think I didn't explain it well. I don't know what's Israel's visa policy about the Iranian citizens but Iranian rules don't allow Iranian citizens to enter those lands, that's written very clearly on my passport too. if I do that I can't go back to Iran without facing jail time (if I'm not wrong that's between 2 to 5 years in jail and you will lose your passport for another 5 years)

I assume some other Islamic countries have more or less the same rule. Saudi Arabia and Malaysia refused to play in West Bank during the World Cup Qualifiers while UAE went and played there.

2 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

oh I think I didn't explain it well. I don't know what's Israel's visa policy about the Iranian citizens but Iranian rules don't allow Iranian citizens to enter those lands, that's written very clearly on my passport too. if I do that I can't go back to Iran without facing jail time (if I'm not wrong that's between 2 to 5 years in jail and you will lose your passport for another 5 years)

I assume some other Islamic countries have more or less the same rule. Saudi Arabia and Malaysia refused to play in West Bank during the World Cup Qualifiers while UAE went and played there.

In that case, I think FIFA may sanction Iran for not showing. 

2 hours ago, AlFHg said:

I honestly don't know what are you talking about, so I cannot tell, sorry

Saudi Arabia was in the same group with Palestine during the first round of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, for the same reason they said no we are not going to those lands and FIFA forced Palestine to play its home match in Jordan. the same happened for Malaysia in the same competition. some countries have such rules as they claim for the "safety" of their citizens.

Saudi teams don't even play in Iran for the AFC Champions League, while Iranian teams have no problem going there, AFC forced both matches to be played in neutral venue .

Il 22/2/2019 Alle 15:22, MHSN ha scritto:

Saudi Arabia was in the same group with Palestine during the first round of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, for the same reason they said no we are not going to those lands and FIFA forced Palestine to play its home match in Jordan. the same happened for Malaysia in the same competition. some countries have such rules as they claim for the "safety" of their citizens.

Saudi teams don't even play in Iran for the AFC Champions League, while Iranian teams have no problem going there, AFC forced both matches to be played in neutral venue .

I didn't know about it... it seems really strange to me, I just hope that FIFA also ordered the second match in a neutral venue. 

• 9 months later...