website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, getting Canada in your group means you can't get Mexico/United States from Pot 2.

I'm pretty sure they will start drawing from Pot 1 first so Canada will the team shuffled around Mexico & USA. You will literally only have six groups to be drawn into.

This group is still possible: :QAT :USA :POL and :NZL :lol:

16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

This group is still possible: :QAT :USA :POL and :NZL :lol:

Not exactly, because we won't know the winners of the inter-continental match, the CONCACAF/OFC spot will be considered to be from both continents (same for AFC/CONMEBOL), but you can switch New Zealand for an African nation and you'll get the same result...

10 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Not exactly, because we won't know the winners of the inter-continental match, the CONCACAF/OFC spot will be considered to be from both continents (same for AFC/CONMEBOL), but you can switch New Zealand for an African nation and you'll get the same result...

Yeah, it looks like Ghana, Cameroon & Tunisia (if Canada wins their last match) could all end up in Pot 4 with Ecuador, Saudi Arabia and the three play-off winners.

The drawing of the lots could be a short-lived mess in Pot 4 with Asians teams in three pots and African nations spread around two pots.

It would get hilarious if Uruguay gets drawn into the Qatar group straight away which would mean all 5 European teams from Pot 1 would be available to be drawn to all 5 European teams from Pot 2 and if that happens USA & Mexico would get Argentina or Brazil - that would mean Serbia and Poland would either get Qatar/Uruguay or the BRA-ARG/USA-MEX combo. And that would mean Wales vs Scotland/Ukraine winner wouldn't even be drawn since they would only have one option left.

So a group :QAT :URU :POL and :SCO is still possible.

Yeah we can get a lot of crazy draw scenarios.

One thing that crossed my mind is FIFA didn't explicitly say they will take the remaining balls into account when drawing. So we could have a situation where the last ball in Pot 4 is Ecuador, but Group H has Argentina. Obviously they will switch them with the Pot 4 team in Group G (assuming there isn't another South American team in it), but it will be funny to see them place a team in one group, but being forced to switch them because they didn't have the foresight to place them in the correct group.

5 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah we can get a lot of crazy draw scenarios.

One thing that crossed my mind is FIFA didn't explicitly say they will take the remaining balls into account when drawing. So we could have a situation where the last ball in Pot 4 is Ecuador, but Group H has Argentina. Obviously they will switch them with the Pot 4 team in Group G (assuming there isn't another South American team in it), but it will be funny to see them place a team in one group, but being forced to switch them because they didn't have the foresight to place them in the correct group.

Yeah, they will swap groups knowing Ecuador from the last pot can only go to five groups to avoid BRA/ARG/URU. The same applies to the continental playoff winner since there's a good chance CONMEBOL team beats the AFC team. I'd say there's a huge chance potentially both CONMEBOL teams from Pot 4 will go into groups with two UEFA teams but they can always luck into the Qatar group as well if Uruguay doesn't get it first.

We could still get :QAT :SUI :CAN and :PER which would probably be a dream group for Canada :p

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, they will swap groups knowing Ecuador from the last pot can only go to five groups to avoid BRA/ARG/URU. The same applies to the continental playoff winner since there's a good chance CONMEBOL team beats the AFC team. I'd say there's a huge chance potentially both CONMEBOL teams from Pot 4 will go into groups with two UEFA teams but they can always luck into the Qatar group as well if Uruguay doesn't get it first.

We could still get :QAT :SUI :CAN and :PER which would probably be a dream group for Canada :p

:SUI is my backup team so I would find this draw problematic :P

I'm just excited that Canada will even be in the draw tbh, part of me would be really excited if Canada's group ended up being described as the "group of death". Unlikely, but it would be fun. Actually any group will be fun. It's the fucking world cup!