website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

With 32 the chance to see a debutant nation becomes very slim but one can always hope a random african team making it or Uzbekistan not choking for once.

In south america it will be war with only 5 spots for 9 competitive teams. I still hope Venezuela can grab at least that 5th place this time. 

In Europe crazy as well because this time there will be one less place. No new nations with reasonable chance. I have a slight hope to see a return from Wales, Ireland, Austria, Norway, Turkey or Ukraine after a long time, but it will require help from the draw.

well, we already have a debutant Nation even before the qualification rounds start...it's Qatar, the host Nation! :lol::whistle:

and in Europe...don't worry...with Italy missing out once again and maybe a few other "big names", with the help of a fake draw, there are chances to see some new faces in 2022...

p.s. however, the best news of the year it's not that we're not going to have a 48-team tournament for the last time, it would have been only if FIFA stripped Qatar of the organization...:p

20 minutes ago, phelps said:

well, we already have a debutant Nation even before the qualification rounds start...it's Qatar, the host Nation! :lol::whistle:

and in Europe...don't worry...with Italy missing out once again and maybe a few other "big names", with the help of a fake draw, there are chances to see some new faces in 2022...

p.s. however, the best news of the year it's not that we're not going to have a 48-team tournament for the last time, it would have been only if FIFA stripped Qatar of the organization...:p

Yeah that would have been great, stripping it three years before the tournament. That would not have created chaos at all! :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah that would have been great, stripping it three years before the tournament. That would not have created chaos at all! :) 

well, I don't think it would be a problem for Countries like UK, Germany or Spain to host a 32-team world cup even tomorrow (I mean, all the stadiums are already there, so you only need to sell tickets...and since the Qatar 2022 campaign has not begun yet, I don't see any trouble in stripping Qatar of that fuc*in' tournament even 3 months only before the start, not 3 years)...;)

1 minute ago, phelps said:

well, I don't think it would be a problem for Countries like UK, Germany or Spain to host a 32-team world cup even tomorrow (I mean, all the stadiums are already there, so you only need to sell tickets...and since the Qatar 2022 campaign has not begun yet, I don't see any trouble in stripping Qatar of that fuc*in' tournament even 3 months only before the start, not 3 years)...;)

It would set a rather dangerous precedent of stripping events way too short before it is supposed to be held, just not a good thing to do ;) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It would set a rather dangerous precedent of stripping events way too short before it is supposed to be held, just not a good thing to do ;) 

maybe...but even allowing Qatar to host such kind of event (and I could add this year's Athletics world champs, too) is a dangerous precedent...:p

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

maybe...but even allowing Qatar to host such kind of event (and I could add this year's Athletics world champs, too) is a dangerous precedent...:p

Yes, we agree that Qatar should never have been chosen, but that's just not the point anymore :p 

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been confirmed as 32 teams.

In other news, qualifiers start on Thursday, second leg Tuesday

:MGL:BRU

:LAO:BAN

:MAC:SRI (Macau's home leg played in China PR)

:CAM:PAK (Pakistan's home leg played in Qatar)

:BHU:GUM

:MAS:TLS (This game has the first leg on Friday due to Eid - also Timor-Leste's home leg played in Malaysia)

I wrote an article about these ties if you want to read https://possessionfootballblog.wordpress.com/2019/06/04/out-of-the-limelight-twelve-asian-teams-begin-their-world-cup-journeys/

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

The road to FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 is officially began with AFC qualifying Round 1 (first leg)

Mongolia :MGL  2-0 (Final) :BRU  Brunei Darussalam

Macau :MAC vs :SRI  Sri Lanka

Laos :LAOvs :BANBangladesh

Cambodia :CAM  vs :PAKPakistan

Bhutan :BHU  vs :GUM  Guam

Malaysia  :MASvs  :TLSTimor-Leste

Second Leg will play Tuesday 11th June 2019