website statistics

Formula 1 FIA World Championship 2019

Totallympics

3 hours ago, mihamiha said:

we had overtakings,every race diferent podiums. i agre it was similar to nowdays,

like i said,times with senna and prost were the best

Exactly. One driver absolutely dominating (although now it's two, but yeah still one team) and the podium being reserved for the best two or possibly three teams, with a rare exception.

I still find it a miracle I kept watching after those insanely boring Schumacher years, probably the most boring seasons I've ever seen. But sure, everyone has their own opinions about eras and every era has it's good and it's bad sides.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The cars have been bulletproof for a while now. Back in the day even when you had the fastest car, reliabiity was always a concern. That's not the case anymore. Mercedes are averaging like 1 mechanical DNF per season so basically 1/42. Beyond that you can only count on some freak incident like Bottas running over a chunk of debris in Baku last year.

Just now, Monzanator said:

The cars have been bulletproof for a while now. Back in the day even when you had the fastest car, reliabiity was always a concern. That's not the case anymore. Mercedes are averaging like 1 mechanical DNF per season so basically 1/42. Beyond that you can only count on some freak incident like Bottas running over a chunk of debris in Baku last year.

I believe that things will change in F1 if at least 1 of these 2 things happen:

1) at least 4 different tyres available per race, with  not less than 2 kinds to be used;

2) fueling at pit-stops again (this would be the best solution in my opinion)

Edited by AlFHg

1 hour ago, AlFHg said:

I believe that things will change in F1 if at least 1 of these 2 things happen:

1) at least 4 different tyres available per race, with  not less than 2 kinds to be used;

2) fueling at pit-stops again (this would be the best solution in my opinion)

Two things:

1) People would bitch about tires not lasting the distance of like 10-15 laps and creating a mockery of racing. Pirelli has come under fire for being unable to provide durable tires before (they can provide them ofc but were asked by FIA to provide less durable to mirror that Canadian GP from 2011). Two or three blowouts during a single race weekend and it's a horrible look for Pirelli with drivers bitching about safety. You can take it to the bank.

2) Hah! Pitstops were removed because people complained drivers are unwilling to make a pass on the track and only wait for the pitstops to jump their opponents! So this was supposed to aide overtaking but now it's fuel-saving and undercut strategy which doesn't help passing either. These races are run from pit wall with each car having like zillion engine maps & fuel consumption modes, the driver no longer controls the fuel with clutch/gas pedal alone. IndyCar still has that old school technique but F1 is all about electronics mode controlled from pit wall.

Edit: I forgot to mention the supposed "cost saving" has limited teams to three engines per season before a penalty comes. So they're going ultra safe in first place and ain't gonna risk blowing an engine to have a driver finish 4th instead of 5th! Plus most engine changes are done in strategic spots, nobody's gonna put a fresh engine ahead of a technical track like Budapest but ahead of Monza? Most likely! You need a complete horror show like McLaren-Honda to ignore all that thinking but it's a horrible look for the company and the entire thing just blows up in your face. Fans might take cheap shots at this but some big heads are downright mad to see a millions of investements go down with a myriad of 20+ places grid penalties every other weekend!

First thing to aid the racing is to take the weight off the cars. At least 150-200 kg. F1 is turbo-powered tanks racing, increasing the power does nothing if weight goes up at similar or greater rate. The power-to-weight ratio is horribly skewed and is one of the chief reasons why we have so little passing without the obvious DRS gimmick.

Edited by Monzanator

Niki Lauda has died :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

27 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

He was in poor health ever since the pneumonia / lung transplant last year. It was a bit of a miracle he survived it.

The fact that he survived that crash will always be more of a miracle to me.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The fact that he survived that crash will always be more of a miracle to me.

Well, it's almost largely forgotten now. People calling Tiger Woods' Masters win last month as the greatest sporting comeback ever, have NEVER heard about Niki Lauda.

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Well, it's almost largely forgotten now. People calling Tiger Woods' Masters win last month as the greatest sporting comeback ever, have NEVER heard about Niki Lauda.

Plus, Lauda seemed (didn’t really to much about him) like a very likable guy...much more than Tiger

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

One thing people probably didn't know is that Niki Lauda flew Elisabeth Max-Theuerer's horse to Moscow by himself in 1980, when Austrian federation called for a boycott and refused to support Max-Theurer's trip. So yeah, he was a pretty cool guy.

#banbestmen