website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

19 hours ago, BenAfleckIsAnOkActor said:

Long time lurker who decided to jump into the convo here to say that I think Charles Hamelin deserves serious consideration for flag bearer... it's his 5th olympics, he's won 5 medals (including three gold) and he has a shot at becoming one of Canada's most decorated Olympians at these games! 

Also thanks so much to all the posters in this thread, you guys made the Tokyo Olympics 6 months ago super enjoyable!! 

Welcome 

18 hours ago, BenAfleckIsAnOkActor said:

Thank you!! I've been a massive Olympic sports fan for a while so it's nice to find this community! 

Honestly, I'm keeping my expectations low for these Olympics, COVID has made things difficult and I think a lot of programs are in rebuilding mode after 2018. I'd personally be thrilled with 6 gold and around 20 medals overall. What are your predictions? 

That's a great point about Hamelin though, I hadn't even considered it. Such a shame, I'm a huge fan of his. 

I would also argue for Jones and Gushue as well. Arguably some of the greatest and most consistent curlers of all time nearing the twilight of their careers. 

A warm welcome. 

I’m hoping that it’s somewhere about 25. I’m kind of thinking about 5 key groupings if sports that will win about 5 medals each (Speed Skating, Short Track, Freestyle Skiing, Snowboard, hockey/curling) with a few chances in bobsleigh and less so figure skating to help round up. 

4 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, those 8 sports are the ones to watch for medals. You can throw in alpine skiing and skeleton if you want to be really hopeful.

Throw in ski jumping, luge and biathlon if you have the insane amount of hopium I always have pre-Olympics. But even I am not crazy enough to think we have even a 1% chance at a medal in cross country skiing.

8 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Throw in ski jumping, luge and biathlon if you have the insane amount of hopium I always have pre-Olympics. But even I am not crazy enough to think we have even a 1% chance at a medal in cross country skiing.

Hopium is a great word for how I am currently feeling (even if it may have been a typo). 

I have hope we will see great results from all Canadian athletes in all sports whether they are podium finishes or not. 

An Alpine medal would be delightful - the Canadian team seems to be showing some great non-podium finishes at this years World Cup so it would not be totally out of left field.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

For the last three Olympics I have really wanted a nordic medal. Hoping someone can pull it off. No one is a medal threat but on a good day perhaps the men's Biathlon relay can surprise.

Scott Gow did have that impressive World Cup performance where he shot clean. It could happen. Disappointing it didn’t happen with Harvey last time but the 4th place in the 50km was impressive 

I think these Olympics would be the time for shocking surprises given anyone could be out last minute due to Covid.  A Canadian could Bradbury their way onto the podium if the virus were to take enough people out.  Not that I'm hoping for that at all.  I want everyone to be healthy and for there to be the best of the best in each event.  Just saying, these Olympics are very unpredictable.  

On 12/25/2021 at 10:34 AM, Sindo said:

Hello guys and Merry Christmas!

I would like to hear from you if you want the Canadian subdomain to be created, where you can have sections for each sport and which hopefully will bring more Canadian olympic fans on the forum. I plan to do it before the Winter Olympics so you can already use that during the Games in february and then switch the focus on Paris 2024.

What would you like to be the link of that? It will be in the form of XYZ.totallympics.com, so you will have to choose what XYZ will be.

Thanks!

Hello guys!

I think this would be one of the most active National Threads during the Beijing 2022 Olympic Games and I have the feeling keeping everything into one single thread is not enough. I wrote the quoted message some weeks ago, but I have thought instead of that will be better to use a feature of the forum we have never used but which I would like to start using from now on: the clubs.

Basically they are a sort of sub-forums where invited users can have their own section where they can have more threads rather than just one National Thread. So you can have separate threads for each sport, for who will be the flag bearer etc, and have different sections (like one for Beijing 2022 Olympic Games, then you can create the section for Paris 2024 qualifications etc.).

I have created the Canadian Club and I am now going to invite there all active Canadian users: https://totallympics.com/clubs/2-canada/

Now I would need one user who would become the "owner" of the club, a sort of moderator who can decide which threads to open, how to sort them etc. Also, I can change the name of the club from "Canada" to something else if you prefer (Canadian Club? Canadian Corner? Whatever you want), and where you see "Description here!" I can add everything you want. Any suggestion? And any candidate to be the owner of the club?

I hope you like it and you will make this club active. If this idea will be successfull, this National Thread should be closed and the discussions would move to the club.

Good luck to Team Canada in Beijing!

Sindo

@intoronto@JoshMartini007@darknife23@james89@seb851@Canada4thewin@canadamion@NearPup@BenAfleckIsAnOkActor@Topicmaster1010@Surlympics@evil betty@juddy96@ofan