website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Here are some medal chance predictions for Canada. OFC, nothing is guaranteed, but worth looking at.

Archery: 

Just looking at seasonal performances by both Duenas and Barrett do not inspire confidence. However, the mixed team did make the final 8 of two events this season, so I think the mixed team has an outside shot at winning a medal.  

Athletics:

Andre De Grasse in 200m, Marco Arop in 800, a medal in 5000 (either Ahmed/Knight), Warner in decathlon and Dunfee in walk should be medal chances that actually go onto medal. De Grasse in 100, Bishop in 800, Rogers in hammer and Lepage in Decathlon have an outside chance. 5 should medal, a further 4 chances that may or may not medal. Newman in pole vault, Crew in shot, women's 4x400 relay, men's 4x100 relay, Stafford in 1500, Ahmed in 10000, have outside chances as well.  

Basketball:

Anything but a medal would be a major disappointment.  

Boxing:

Veyre, Thibeault and Bujold are medal contenders, hoping for at least one medal between the three. 

Canoeing (sprint):

C1 and C2 in women should win medals, maybe even 2 medals in C1. No other boats will likely win a medal.  

Cycling Road

Apparently the course is very hilly, which plays into the strengths of Michael Woods.  

Cycling track

One medal in women's team pursuit and a medal in women's sprint should be expected. 

Diving:

I think 3 medals at a minimum here. Both women's synchro events and an individual medal for the women. The men have an outside shot in the 10m events.  

Golf:

Brooke Henderson has an outside shot at a medal. 

Gymnastics:

Hoping for at least 1 medal in artistic (through the women) + a medal in trampoline

Judo:

5/6 judoka (minus Guica) have a chance to medal, 4 are ranked, so have a favourable draw. Hoping for 2 medals, which would be the most in one games in this sport for Canada 

Karate:
Hard to gauge but Gaysinsky has beaten all of his opponents in the competition before except Gogita of Georgia, so if he arrives in the best possible form he could challenge for a medal.

Rowing;
Hard to gauge due to lack of competition caused by covid. I think the men could win a medal, while the women could get up to 4 medals. 

Rugby sevens:

The women should medal or its a disappointment. 

Sailing:
Hoping the best Sarah Douglas shows up, if she does, she has a chance to become the first Canadian female sailor to win an Olympic medal. All other boats have almost no chances

Skateboarding:
Berger and Papa both finished in the finals at the recent Worlds, with a strong performance they could have a chance to medal. 

Soccer:

Hard to say, but the women should be in the convo for a medal. 

Sport climbing:

Sean McColl should be in the conversation for a medal

Softball:

Swimming:
Hoping the men can pull out a medal, but I doubt it. The women: 200m freestyle, 100m butterfly, 100m and 200m back should provide medals. The 100m free is an outside chance. The three women's relays also provide chances along with the 200im and 400im. 

Taekwondo:
Skylar Park is ranked third and hopefully she can win a medal.

Tennis:
So hard to predict, but the women's doubles team can do damage. Maybe a medal in mixed is also possible since the size of the field is small. 

Triathlon:
Mislawchuk should be a favourite for a medal ,since he won the test event on the same course. However, hard to guess because so many factors can go wrong. 

Beach volleyball:
Humana-Parades and Pavan have struggled lately, but hoping they can get it together 

Weightlifting:
Charron + Santavy should medal. 

Wrestling:
Wiebe and Lappage are former Olympic and World medalists, so on a good day they could potentially medal. 

I’m going to be fascinated by Track Cycling and Rowing with the lack of competitions I really don’t know what the outlook is. I’ve been listening to Adam Kreek’s rowing podcast and it’s really interesting to hear athletes give their perspective. 

Swimming is also interesting, this is the one sport that I am more optimistic (I’m a bit more cautious with Atheltics and the Team Sports than you are). I feel like a good meet for the Canadians would see the team surpassing the 6 medals from Rio but it could be somewhere around there. Medley relay looks stronger on paper but it really depends on Taylor Ruck’s performance in the 4x100m/4x200m. Although I think Oleksiak was holding back at trials in the 200m. Liendo’s probably the best medal chances for the men. 

15 minutes ago, james89 said:

I’m going to be fascinated by Track Cycling and Rowing with the lack of competitions I really don’t know what the outlook is. I’ve been listening to Adam Kreek’s rowing podcast and it’s really interesting to hear athletes give their perspective. 

Swimming is also interesting, this is the one sport that I am more optimistic (I’m a bit more cautious with Atheltics and the Team Sports than you are). I feel like a good meet for the Canadians would see the team surpassing the 6 medals from Rio but it could be somewhere around there. Medley relay looks stronger on paper but it really depends on Taylor Ruck’s performance in the 4x100m/4x200m. Although I think Oleksiak was holding back at trials in the 200m. Liendo’s probably the best medal chances for the men. 

Knox if he keeps improving should make the final in the 200 im. 

5 hours ago, intoronto said:

Here are some medal chance predictions for Canada. OFC, nothing is guaranteed, but worth looking at.

Archery: 

Just looking at seasonal performances by both Duenas and Barrett do not inspire confidence. However, the mixed team did make the final 8 of two events this season, so I think the mixed team has an outside shot at winning a medal.  

Athletics:

Andre De Grasse in 200m, Marco Arop in 800, a medal in 5000 (either Ahmed/Knight), Warner in decathlon and Dunfee in walk should be medal chances that actually go onto medal. De Grasse in 100, Bishop in 800, Rogers in hammer and Lepage in Decathlon have an outside chance. 5 should medal, a further 4 chances that may or may not medal. Newman in pole vault, Crew in shot, women's 4x400 relay, men's 4x100 relay, Stafford in 1500, Ahmed in 10000, have outside chances as well.  

Basketball:

Anything but a medal would be a major disappointment.  

Boxing:

Veyre, Thibeault and Bujold are medal contenders, hoping for at least one medal between the three. 

Canoeing (sprint):

C1 and C2 in women should win medals, maybe even 2 medals in C1. No other boats will likely win a medal.  

Cycling Road

Apparently the course is very hilly, which plays into the strengths of Michael Woods.  

Cycling track

One medal in women's team pursuit and a medal in women's sprint should be expected. 

Diving:

I think 3 medals at a minimum here. Both women's synchro events and an individual medal for the women. The men have an outside shot in the 10m events.  

Golf:

Brooke Henderson has an outside shot at a medal. 

Gymnastics:

Hoping for at least 1 medal in artistic (through the women) + a medal in trampoline

Judo:

5/6 judoka (minus Guica) have a chance to medal, 4 are ranked, so have a favourable draw. Hoping for 2 medals, which would be the most in one games in this sport for Canada 

Karate:
Hard to gauge but Gaysinsky has beaten all of his opponents in the competition before except Gogita of Georgia, so if he arrives in the best possible form he could challenge for a medal.

Rowing;
Hard to gauge due to lack of competition caused by covid. I think the men could win a medal, while the women could get up to 4 medals. 

Rugby sevens:

Sailing:
Hoping the best Sarah Douglas shows up, if she does, she has a chance to become the first Canadian female sailor to win an Olympic medal. All other boats have almost no chances

Skateboarding:
Berger and Papa both finished in the finals at the recent Worlds, with a strong performance they could have a chance to medal. 

Soccer:

Hard to say, but the women should be in the convo for a medal. 

Sport climbing:

Sean McColl should be in the conversation for a medal

Softball:

Swimming:
Hoping the men can pull out a medal, but I doubt it. The women: 200m freestyle, 100m butterfly, 100m and 200m back should provide medals. The 100m free is an outside chance. The three women's relays also provide chances along with the 200im and 400im. 

Taekwondo:
Skylar Park is ranked third and hopefully she can win a medal.

Tennis:
So hard to predict, but the women's doubles team can do damage. Maybe a medal in mixed is also possible since the size of the field is small. 

Triathlon:
Mislawchuk should be a favourite for a medal ,since he won the test event on the same course. However, hard to guess because so many factors can go wrong. 

Beach volleyball:
Humana-Parades and Pavan have struggled lately, but hoping they can get it together 

Weightlifting:
Charron + Santavy should medal. 

Wrestling:
Wiebe and Lappage are former Olympic and World medalists, so on a good day they could potentially medal. 

What I'm excited about, and your list reflects this, is the fact that Canada is finally competitive in the two largest events of Swimming and Athletics as well as multiple team sports.  This began last Olympics, and while I will watch all the events regardless of Canadian content, it is exciting to see our athletes in the mix in the biggest sports.  For far too long Canada was a non-factor in swimming/athletics except maybe one or two chances here and there, and the team sports were a barren landscape.  Gymnastics is also a big one where Canada has become more relevant.  Medal or not, it'll be nice to see the Maple Leaf around these venues in Japan.  

3 minutes ago, orangeman said:

What I'm excited about, and your list reflects this, is the fact that Canada is finally competitive in the two largest events of Swimming and Athletics as well as multiple team sports.  This began last Olympics, and while I will watch all the events regardless of Canadian content, it is exciting to see our athletes in the mix in the biggest sports.  For far too long Canada was a non-factor in swimming/athletics except maybe one or two chances here and there, and the team sports were a barren landscape.  Gymnastics is also a big one where Canada has become more relevant.  Medal or not, it'll be nice to see the Maple Leaf around these venues in Japan.  

We can thank OTP for the team sport part. They only started a team sport strategy for the RIO quad, and it paid off as all the teams who qualified in Rio qualified for Tokyo.

1 hour ago, orangeman said:

You really hit the nail on the head here. It's exciting to see progress across the board - it really feels like the Canadian teams in many events are much stronger than they were in the past. It's very exciting to see this change.

On 08/07/2021 at 11:34, intoronto said:

So Courtney Stott and Lissa Bissonnette are not officially on the team in canoeing

This is confirmed. LVL takes Bissonnettes spot on the team. She will need to compete in the k1 500.

Canada also received a reallocation in women's road race. Allison Jackson is the last named athlete to the team

Bring on the games!

I will be the official cheerleader for team :NBR New Brunswick :NBR

Why is New Brunswick the most exciting provincial delegation? Well, three reasons:

• It’s my home province :D
  • It’s one of only two provinces to have a country flag on Totallympics, and :QUE doesn’t have a boat or a lion on their flag
  • 100% of New Brunswick’s athletes are competing in the 3000m Steeplechase, which is the best event in the Olympics. Geneviève Lalonde is following in the footsteps of fellow New Brunswick Steeplechase legend Joël Bourgeois

55 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I will be the official cheerleader for team :NBR New Brunswick :NBR

Why is New Brunswick the most exciting provincial delegation? Well, three reasons:

• It’s my home province :D
  • It’s one of only two provinces to have a country flag on Totallympics, and :QUE doesn’t have a boat or a lion on their flag
  • 100% of New Brunswick’s athletes are competing in the 3000m Steeplechase, which is the best event in the Olympics. Geneviève Lalonde is following in the footsteps of fellow New Brunswick Steeplechase legend Joël Bourgeois

I suppose my home province of BC is claiming Catharine Pendrel now?

39 minutes ago, james89 said:

I suppose my home province of BC is claiming Catharine Pendrel now?

Her hometown is listed as Kamloops, but I’d be more than happy to claim her for NB. She happens to originally be from my hometown.

Also, random fun fact: the entire 2013 Canada Games women’s 2000m Steeplechase podium are now Olympians.