website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

11 hours ago, intoronto said:

Due to covid I don't think he will be there.

My guess would be Kaitlyn Lawes and one of the men's hockey players 

I initially wrote that I wasn't sure if he'd be there due to covid.  

I also was going to say Lawes, but then thinking about curling it got all messy because Jones and Gushue are also both gold medalists, and Morris also has two (but would be competing that day and the next).  But yeah, curlers of some combination would make sense.  

Long time lurker who decided to jump into the convo here to say that I think Charles Hamelin deserves serious consideration for flag bearer... it's his 5th olympics, he's won 5 medals (including three gold) and he has a shot at becoming one of Canada's most decorated Olympians at these games! 

Also thanks so much to all the posters in this thread, you guys made the Tokyo Olympics 6 months ago super enjoyable!! 

28 minutes ago, BenAfleckIsAnOkActor said:

Long time lurker who decided to jump into the convo here to say that I think Charles Hamelin deserves serious consideration for flag bearer... it's his 5th olympics, he's won 5 medals (including three gold) and he has a shot at becoming one of Canada's most decorated Olympians at these games! 

Also thanks so much to all the posters in this thread, you guys made the Tokyo Olympics 6 months ago super enjoyable!! 

Hi welcome to Totallympics? What is your prediction for how Canada will do overall ?

I think Hamelin is a sentimental favourite, but he does have the 1000 m the next day.

My proposal is Marie-Philip Poulin. She undoubtedly deserves it. She does have a game the next morning (against :FIN) so that might be a problem. Toss in Marc Kennedy if we need a second flagbearer because he'll be in Beijing not doing anything at the time (he flies in early to be a possible replacement for Jon Morris in mixed doubles if he tests positive). )

Hamelin would be a great choice if not for the 1000m prelims and, more importantly, the 2000m mixed relay finals the next day. Mikaël Kingsbury is a complete non-starter for the same reason.

15 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Hi welcome to Totallympics? What is your prediction for how Canada will do overall ?

I think Hamelin is a sentimental favourite, but he does have the 1000 m the next day.

Thank you!! I've been a massive Olympic sports fan for a while so it's nice to find this community! 

Honestly, I'm keeping my expectations low for these Olympics, COVID has made things difficult and I think a lot of programs are in rebuilding mode after 2018. I'd personally be thrilled with 6 gold and around 20 medals overall. What are your predictions? 

That's a great point about Hamelin though, I hadn't even considered it. Such a shame, I'm a huge fan of his. 

I would also argue for Jones and Gushue as well. Arguably some of the greatest and most consistent curlers of all time nearing the twilight of their careers. 

12 minutes ago, BenAfleckIsAnOkActor said:

I would also argue for Jones and Gushue as well. Arguably some of the greatest and most consistent curlers of all time nearing the twilight of their careers. 

Also both very good choices (especially since Canada has never picked a curler as a flag bearer). I'm not sure if they will have flown in early enough, though. The alternates are flying early (with the mixed doubles team), but the four starters for both the men's and women's team are planning on flying out pretty late. I don't remember if they mentioned specific dates, though.

It appears that almost all the other Canadian teams took the approach of getting in the bubble ASAP (all the bobsleigh athletes are there, for example, and training doesn't start until the 10th for the women and 11th for the men).

(Also, as the resident Acadian/Quebecois hybrid on this forum, I gotta say - Canada is way overdue a French-Canadian flag bearer at this point, it's been 84 years there hasn't been one since Turin, Summer of Winter)

17 minutes ago, NearPup said:

(Also, as the resident Acadian/Quebecois hybrid on this forum, I gotta say - Canada is way overdue a French-Canadian flag bearer at this point, it's been 84 years there hasn't been one since Turin, Summer of Winter)

This is actually a really great point! I went through some of the events and some of the prominent French Canadians who compete in the Beijing zone relatively quickly (but not the day after) include... 

Max Parrot (he would be a fantastic choice after his recovery from lymphoma), Sebastian Toutant, and Laurent Dubreuil. I especially think the two snowboarders would be great choices. 

1 hour ago, BenAfleckIsAnOkActor said:

Thank you!! I've been a massive Olympic sports fan for a while so it's nice to find this community! 

Honestly, I'm keeping my expectations low for these Olympics, COVID has made things difficult and I think a lot of programs are in rebuilding mode after 2018. I'd personally be thrilled with 6 gold and around 20 medals overall. What are your predictions? 

That's a great point about Hamelin though, I hadn't even considered it. Such a shame, I'm a huge fan of his. 

Someday I think 20 and then the next day 30 lol... I just hope we don't drop down too much.

And now that I think of it, since the bobsled team is here and don't start competition till later, Justin Kripps would be an excellent choice. 

21 minutes ago, BenAfleckIsAnOkActor said:

This is actually a really great point! I went through some of the events and some of the prominent French Canadians who compete in the Beijing zone relatively quickly (but not the day after) include... 

Max Parrot (he would be a fantastic choice after his recovery from lymphoma), Sebastian Toutant, and Laurent Dubreuil. I especially think the two snowboarders would be great choices. 

I originally thought of Hamelin, but as others have said he has a busy schedule the next day.  Dubreiul is an interesting choice, but he hasn't yet won a medal and with so many others who have them in their back pockets and are in Beijing looking for more, perhaps that would be an outside choice. With curling, I just found it hard to choose.  Morris and Lawes each have 2 golds, Jones and Gushue each have one.  I guess you can take Morris out since he's competing around those days, but then do you choose Lawes even though she isn't the skip?  

Your idea of a snowboarder is a good idea, but it's sort of another hard choice within that group. Parrot has a silver and is coming back from health; Toutant is a defending gold medalist; McMorris has two bronzes and had his own health scare before 2018.  I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those picks, and like you said choosing a Franco is a good idea.