website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

On 8/19/2021 at 8:52 PM, seb851 said:

I can't wait to see how Own The Podium will fund the different NSOs summer sport...

The federation that deserves not to keep the same amount of funding

Diving Canada 
Wrestling Canada 
Tennis Canada
Triathlon Canada (This NSO's is very mismanage since Paula Findlay London 2012 Fiasco)
Canoe Kayak Canada 

The federation that deserves  keep the same amount of funding

Gymnastics Canada
Athletics Canada 

Rowing Canada

Cycling Canada

Swimming Canada
Volleyball Canada - (Beach)
Boxe Canada

The federation that deserves  get more amount of funding

Judo Canada
Fencing Canada

I wouldn't give up on diving.  It was a disappointing Olympics, but there are several young men on the up and up.  

To me, canoe/kayak should be much better in Canada.  It is a popular sport in our country and I don't really understand why we're not more competitive internationally.  I didn't know people who did it competitively growing up, but half the people I grew up around did it recreationally.  Would it be that hard to find talent among all those people?  

With boxing, I feel like ever since Lennox Lewis Canadians think we're this big boxing country. In reality, Canada hasn't gotten a boxing medal since 1996, and no golds since Lewis in 88.  The inclusion of women was supposed to result in medals, and the only  reason why some of them have gotten close is because of the small field and guaranteed bronze for reaching the semis.  Even then, I can think of only 2 times they got one win away from a medal.  Simply put, it just isn't happening and more money isn't going to make it happen.  

For me, cycling is where it's at.  The RBC program produced two medalists in the track sprints, and we have a good record in the pursuit.  There is room there.  Not to mention good showings historically in mountain biking and potential in BMX.  

On 8/19/2021 at 7:10 AM, George_D said:

Nurse cites importance of '12 committed players' when penning new deal to coach Canada

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.  I've been told we're in the Golden Age of Canadian basketball for two Olympic cycles now, and the Canadian men haven't qualified for either while the women barely made it to the quarters once.  

17 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I wouldn't give up on diving.  It was a disappointing Olympics, but there are several young men on the up and up.  

To me, canoe/kayak should be much better in Canada.  It is a popular sport in our country and I don't really understand why we're not more competitive internationally.  I didn't know people who did it competitively growing up, but half the people I grew up around did it recreationally.  Would it be that hard to find talent among all those people?  

With boxing, I feel like ever since Lennox Lewis Canadians think we're this big boxing country. In reality, Canada hasn't gotten a boxing medal since 1996, and no golds since Lewis in 88.  The inclusion of women was supposed to result in medals, and the only  reason why some of them have gotten close is because of the small field and guaranteed bronze for reaching the semis.  Even then, I can think of only 2 times they got one win away from a medal.  Simply put, it just isn't happening and more money isn't going to make it happen.  

For me, cycling is where it's at.  The RBC program produced two medalists in the track sprints, and we have a good record in the pursuit.  There is room there.  Not to mention good showings historically in mountain biking and potential in BMX.  

In Diving, I really have doubts ... We are far from the heyday that we had Despatie, Heyman and Hartley and the next generation is far from ready.

The canoe/kayak is very badly managed since London 2012, the federation has inverted on a single athlete and it was a big flop

30 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I wholeheartedly agree about Canoe/Kayak. I know so many people who Kayak recreationally, I imagine it is an issue of finding the right talent. It's bizarre to me that we aren't super competitive in either Sprint or Slalom. 

Cycling seems to be on the right track by identifying and developing athletes. I agree - big room for growth especially on the men's side. 

The issue with diving seems to be consistency - we have some of the best athletes in the world who can't perform on the day at the Olympics. While we still managed to win a combined 3 medals in the last 2 Olympics, this is a huge underperformance considering what could have been. The athletes coming up the ranks are really good (Zsomber-Murray and Wiens especially).

3 hours ago, orangeman said:

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.  I've been told we're in the Golden Age of Canadian basketball for two Olympic cycles now, and the Canadian men haven't qualified for either while the women barely made it to the quarters once.  

this happens because all the key NBA Players arent comitted to the NT, if you exclude Cory Josef

Canada has made some truly incredible progress in track cycling. There is definitely some work to be done when it comes to the omnium / Madison but Canada had credible men’s and women’s team pursuit squads and good sprinters on both the men’s and (obviously) women’s side.

The advantage of investing in medal rich sports like athletics, swimming, track cycling or judo is that by having a deep team you are buying a lot of lottery tickets. You aren’t depending on one or two star athletes that you are packing a ton of pressure onto.

I also think that’s why it’s worth it to not give up on wrestling or boxing. There are a lot of medals on offer in those sports, we just need to figure out what is going wrong in those pipelines.

8 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Canada has made some truly incredible progress in track cycling. There is definitely some work to be done when it comes to the omnium / Madison but Canada had credible men’s and women’s team pursuit squads and good sprinters on both the men’s and (obviously) women’s side.

The advantage of investing in medal rich sports like athletics, swimming, track cycling or judo is that by having a deep team you are buying a lot of lottery tickets. You aren’t depending on one or two star athletes that you are packing a ton of pressure onto.

I also think that’s why it’s worth it to not give up on wrestling or boxing. There are a lot of medals on offer in those sports, we just need to figure out what is going wrong in those pipelines.

Canada has made great progress on many sport ... i remember Athena and Sydney fisco. 

Paris 2024 sound really good for alot sport, i can wait see Canada next year in FINA/IAAF World Championship. Rowing sound very good for Paris 2024 !

But Winter Sport for 2022 is not good cycle ...

Sadly the track and field venue from Toronto 2015 was removed, and that venue was important for many stars like Pierce Lepage etc.

Meanwhile, I sent an email to all the commonwealth sports and only Cycling and Judo replied. Sadly most NFs in Canada are hard to reach.