website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

21 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Well 400 she hit the standard, and has a best shot of making the final in that event. Perhaps its an error.

I also noticed that Oleksiak isn’t contending the 100m fly. Could she just be focussing on the freestyle races now?

With Guica's loss at the worlds (one more win would hav ebeen enough), Canada's judo team for Tokyo will be 6 judoka (could have been high as 9). A seventh is possible in the 90 kg if Mohab El Nahas medals tomorrow.

73kg 

81kg 

100kg 

52kg

57kg

63kg

Are the 6 weight categories. 

14 minutes ago, intoronto said:

With Guica's loss at the worlds (one more win would hav ebeen enough), Canada's judo team for Tokyo will be 6 judoka (could have been high as 9). A seventh is possible in the 90 kg if Mohab El Nahas medals tomorrow.

73kg 

81kg 

100kg 

52kg

57kg

63kg

Did Guica lose the continental quota? Or is that the one continental quota that Canada got? I definitely expected our Judo team to increase numbers from 2016 and not decrease. That being said I think this team is headed in the right direction.

38 minutes ago, james89 said:

Did Guica lose the continental quota? Or is that the one continental quota that Canada got? I definitely expected our Judo team to increase numbers from 2016 and not decrease. That being said I think this team is headed in the right direction.

Yes she got the continental spot, had she won one more match, that would have gone to the 90kg event. 

6 is disappointing, but we lost one to pregnancy + one too covid19 (Jacob Valois, did not compete at all during Covid). 

20 hours ago, intoronto said:

Well 400 she hit the standard, and has a best shot of making the final in that event. Perhaps its an error.

There's some info in here that's interesting. She could still be named to the team in the 400m free if she's qualified in the 800m/1500m free. My guess is she's leaving her options open but really focussing on the relay spot for the 200m free.

https://swimswam.com/canadian-trials-psych-sheets-oleksiak-drops-100-fly-no-mcintosh-in-400-free/

5 hours ago, intoronto said:

73kg 

81kg 

100kg 

52kg

57kg

63kg

This also means Canada can't enter the (somewhat comical, but who knows, could have been a medal chance) team event. We are missing a woman at -70, -78 or +78.

11 minutes ago, NearPup said:

This also means Canada can't enter the (somewhat comical, but who knows, could have been a medal chance) team event. We are missing a woman at -70, -78 or +78.

Yup. As it stands now they will qualify because Zupancic is in a qualifying position for Tokyo... 

51 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Yup. As it stands now they will qualify because Zupancic is in a qualifying position for Tokyo... 

Is Judo a sport where athletes qualify as individuals or per nation? Assuming they can't send someone else in Zupancic's place?