website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

8 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Tomorrow looks like a slow day for Canada... 

Just glancing at the schedule, we have rugby semis and medals and some swimmers in finals already.  Then there's basketball, and if rowing is a go we have some crews there.  Bouchard in tennis.  And who knows what other heros will emerge in other events :cool:

Day 3 of Canadian Action (All times are local, 1 hr ahead of Eastern, 4 hrs ahead of Pacific)

Not adding the Rowing stuff cuz thats kind of a mess with the rescheduling lol

Unsure - Catherine Beauchemin-Pinard vs. :HUN Hedvig Karakas - Judo Women's -57kg Round of 16

12pm - Eugene Wang vs. :HKG Wong Chun Ting - Table Tennis Men's Singles Round 3

Not before 12pm - Eugenie Bouchard vs. :GER Angelique Kerber - Tennis Women's Singles 2nd Round

12:30pm - Canada vs. :ARG Argentina - Men's Field Hockey Pool B

1:05pm - Lee Parkhill - Men's Laser Race 1

1:12pm - Katerine Savard - Women's 200m Freestyle Heat 3

1:15pm - Brenda Bowskill - Women's Laser Radial Race 1

1:27pm - Brittany MacLean - Women's 200m Freestyle Heat 6

2:11pm - Erika Seltenreich-Hodgson - Women's 200m Individual Medley Heat 4

2:15pm - Canada vs. :SRB Serbia - Women's Basketball Group B

2:16pm - Sydney Pickrem - Women's 200m Individual Medley Heat 5

Unsure - Lee Parkhill - Men's Laser Race 2

2:30pm - Canada vs. :AUS Australia - Women's Rugby Sevens Semifinal

Unsure - Brenda Bowskill - Women's Laser Radial Race 2

5th on Court 4 - Daniel Nestor/Vasek Pospisil vs. :POR Gastao Elias/Joao Sousa - Tennis Men's Doubles 2nd Round

9:00pm - Josh Binstock/Sam Schachter vs. :ITA Alex Ranghieri/Adrian Carambula - Men's Beach Volleyball Pool A

10:03pm - Katerine Savard, Brittany MacLean - Women's 200m Freestyle Semifinals

10:30pm - Kylie Masse - Women's 100m Backstroke Final

10:54pm - Rachel Nicol - Women's 100m Breaststroke Final

11:36pm - Sydney Pickrem, Erika Seltenreich-Hodgson - Women's 200m Individual Medley Semifinals

For any further rounds or finals that Canada makes it through to i'll edit in

Edited by juddy96

Just had a look and discovered:

In 2012, Canada made 7 finals in the pool.  2 medals, 4 top-5's.  

In 2016, after just 2 days (including finals being held tomorrow) Canada has already qualified for 7 finals in the pool.  2 medals, 4 top-5's.  

Also, Oleksiak is the first Canadian to win multiple medals at a SOG since van Koeverden in 2004.  And I think she has three more races to go!  

Considering no one really expected Canada to contend for medals in the pool, this has been a completely thrilling first couple of days. Extremely disappointed by the flub in the diving today and the poor performance in gymnastics, but elated that Penny won the silver. 

Canada also won more fencing bouts this year than in 2012 (we have 2 this Olympics and only 1 in the previous). 

We also got lucky that the Czech pair in women's tennis beat the Williams sisters, since that would have been Bouchard/Dabrowski's next match.  Still tough, but not nearly as much.  

Also nice to see the Murray bros got eliminated by the Brazilians, since they're on the same side of the bracket as the Canadians.  

Yeah.....I think Canada will be lucky to get bronze in rugby.  They played slightly better today against a better team, but that's not saying much after how terribly they played yesterday.  They will likely face GB for bronze, who destroyed them yesterday.  They can't seem to catch a pass.  Maybe they eat buttery popcorn before each match?  

Sorry juddy, I don't know why my reply quoted you, and I can't get rid of it even by reloading the page.  

13 hours ago, juddy96 said: