website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

4 minutes ago, james89 said:

I will add that Masse looked calm and in charge putting down a 58.13 in the 100m back. Taylor Ruck did not, but I'll wait till the final before passing too much judgement. 

Yea Ruck does not look good at all (in terms of performance)

5 hours ago, james89 said:

Josh Liendo set a NR record in the 100m Butterfly in the Heats this morning at 51.40. 

Good to see a Canadian record from :ITA Santo Condorelli being broken.

Gotta say, after watching every final sessions from the US and Australian Olympic swimming trials, the Canadian trials seem like an extremely amateur production in comparison. Not surprising (the only Canadian Olympic trials that are an impressive TV production are the ones for curling) but still. I guess I should be happy there is a decent live stream at all.

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Masse dropped a 57.70s at trials, 0.4s faster than her previous Canadian record. Second best time this year.

She looks so good now. And Ruck managed to get 2nd - not an amazing time but I'm feeling better about naming her to the 100m freestyle. 

2 hours ago, james89 said:

She looks so good now. And Ruck managed to get 2nd - not an amazing time but I'm feeling better about naming her to the 100m freestyle. 

I remember this happened right before Rio too, she struggled at the trials but still made the teams in the relays, where she had solid performances. Lets hope she can pick it up. Without here, there is 0 chance of a pushing the Americans/Australians in the 4x100.

----

In other news, Georgia Ellenwood is competing at a hep, in Germany, so far about the same results in Gotzis She needs the standard to qualify, otherwise she is out, I doubt she can squeeze in another hep. before the deadline.

Day 2 of swim trials certainly not as exciting as Day 1.  Was hoping to get 1 in the W 100m Breastroke and one in the M 100m Breastroke under the A standard. 

It does look like Oleksiak is holding back. Really thought Sanchez would be in the top 4 too, happy for Savard though.

5 minutes ago, james89 said:

Day 2 of swim trials certainly not as exciting as Day 1.  Was hoping to get 1 in the W 100m Breastroke and one in the M 100m Breastroke under the A standard. 

It does look like Oleksiak is holding back. Really thought Sanchez would be in the top 4 too, happy for Savard though.

Sanchez should qualify in the 50

Gabe has won medals at the world juniors, but doesn't seem like he is taking the next step sadly.

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Sanchez should qualify in the 50

Gabe has won medals at the world juniors, but doesn't seem like he is taking the next step sadly.

I would expect Sanchez to qualify in the top 4 for the 100 too. That way Titley has options for the 4x100m and 4x200m relays depending on if her and Ruck are swimming better when the time comes.