website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

8 minutes ago, james89 said:

And she’s very young in a sport where people normally peak older. That throw would have gotten a medal at the last World Championships and Olympics. 

And she just improved it too 75.52m, just 21 cm from the NR!

16 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Tennis update

Looks like we will have 4 men in the singles competition! Raonic, Shapovalov, Auger-Aliassime and Pospisil;

Two in the women's singles: Andreescu and Fernandez

Doubles Men: Shapovalov/Pospisl will likely team up. Not sure if Auger-Aliassime/Raonic will team up, but that is the only way they can play doubles

Doubles Women: Dabrowski/Fernandez I think is a lock. After my post yesterday, I read that singles rankings can be used to determine entrants into doubles. 

Mixed: Dabrowski and Auger-Aliassime? Their ranking has to be combined highest 16 that have entered to play. 

So overall 7 tennis athletes for Canada. Hoping Raonic/Andreescu actually go.

I feel like Andreescu will likely go unless she has some injury, no clue about Raonic. I really hope Canada can win a tennis medal this time round, its a strong team.

2 minutes ago, james89 said:

I feel like Andreescu will likely go unless she has some injury, no clue about Raonic. I really hope Canada can win a tennis medal this time round, its a strong team.

Fernandez/Dabrowski played well at the French Open and almost beat the 2nd seeds. If the men's doubles pair does well I can see them winning a medal. And finally, if Andreescu plays well like she did in 2019, she should medal (but that looks highly doubtful right now).

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Fernandez/Dabrowski played well at the French Open and almost beat the 2nd seeds. If the men's doubles pair does well I can see them winning a medal. And finally, if Andreescu plays well like she did in 2019, she should medal (but that looks highly doubtful right now).

Plus the Canadian athletes excel on hard court over grass/clay.  They are certainly possibilities. It's certainly bizarre that our last tennis medal was the Gold in 2000.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

I actually feel like Dabrowski and whoever in mixed doubles is the best chance for a medal.

Malik Metivier just ran a 49.26 in the 400m hurdles, which gives him a score of 1202. Only off by .36 to qualify automatically, but if he can't hit that, if he can score 2-3 more races like this, he will be well into a qualification position. What a pleasant surprise!

On 09/06/2021 at 21:26, intoronto said:

Dabrowski dropped out of the top 10. This means she must pick Fichman to go to Tokyo. I think that would be ideal because both are doubles specalists.

Strycova from Czech Republic who is third in the doubles rankings retired so that should bump dabrowski back into the top ten.