website statistics

African Games 2019

Totallympics

Some interesting takeaways from the technical guide. Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Canoe/Kayak, Cycling, Fencing, Handball, Judo, Swimming, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis, Triathlon, Beach Volleyball,  and Weightlifting will serve as Olympic qualifiers in some capacity. Is that true at @JoshMartini007? There is not going to be a 5x5 Basketball tournament which may be a first for any continental games. A good amount of the Olympic program will be on display (such as 5 recurve archery events, 13 boxing events, etc.). Morocco hasn’t Medal loaded the event as much as they could have. Artistic Gymnastics and Equestrian make a comeback on the program. I’d love to know your opinion of African artistic Gymnastics @thiago_simoes. Chess and Snooker make their African Games debuts. Rowing will only feature single sculls events held at 1000m and 500m. Only the shotgun events will be held in shooting (how hard would it have been to add to 10m events too). 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Some interesting takeaways from the technical guide. Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Canoe/Kayak, Cycling, Fencing, Handball, Judo, Swimming, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis, Triathlon, Beach Volleyball,  and Weightlifting will serve as Olympic qualifiers in some capacity. Is that true at @JoshMartini007? There is not going to be a 5x5 Basketball tournament which may be a first for any continental games. A good amount of the Olympic program will be on display (such as 5 recurve archery events, 13 boxing events, etc.). Morocco hasn’t Medal loaded the event as much as they could have. Artistic Gymnastics and Equestrian make a comeback on the program. I’d love to know your opinion of African artistic Gymnastics @thiago_simoes. Chess and Snooker make their African Games debuts. Rowing will only feature single sculls events held at 1000m and 500m. Only the shotgun events will be held in shooting (how hard would it have been to add to 10m events too). 

Archery, canoeing, table tennis and tennis will be direct qualifiers. Athletics and swimming are eligible events to achieve the qualification time. Everything else I think offers world ranking points (not 100% sure on beach volleyball). Except handball, which either directly qualifies teams to the men's qualifier or offers ranking points which are then used to determine which teams will participate.

2 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Archery, canoeing, table tennis and tennis will be direct qualifiers. Athletics and swimming are eligible events to achieve the qualification time. Everything else I think offers world ranking points (not 100% sure on beach volleyball). Except handball, which either directly qualifies teams to the men's qualifier or offers ranking points which are then used to determine which teams will participate.

What about Equestrian?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

17 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Fencing is not part of the qualification process in any way.

22 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It wasn't on your list, looking at the list on FEI, it doesn't look like it

I didn’t think either of these were, but the technical guide claimed they were.

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’d love to know your opinion of African artistic Gymnastics @thiago_simoes.

About the quality of the gymnasts? Egypt has an exceptional gymnast on rings (Ali Zahran), Morocco has a great vaulter (Hamza Hossaini), but everybody else still has a long way to go.

50 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

About the quality of the gymnasts? Egypt has an exceptional gymnast on rings (Ali Zahran), Morocco has a great vaulter (Hamza Hossaini), but everybody else still has a long way to go.

The Olympic Channel was hyping up a male Nigerian gymnast. I was wondering about his chances too. He goes to the university of Michigan.

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The Olympic Channel was hyping up a male Nigerian gymnast. I was wondering about his chances too. He goes to the university of Michigan.

What's his name? NCAA is very different from elite gymnastics. It's nice for him to train with good coaches and good equipment, but I'm not sure his routines would be tailored for elite gymnastics (although the level of the competition is probably not that great).

12 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

What's his name? NCAA is very different from elite gymnastics. It's nice for him to train with good coaches and good equipment, but I'm not sure his routines would be tailored for elite gymnastics (although the level of the competition is probably not that great).

Uche Eke I guess he’s American born or something.