website statistics

Sprint Canoeing ICF World Championships 2022

Totallympics

Greece not even sending a team. With our coasts, lakes and rivers, we should really try to do better at this sport.

Most of our rowers are from northern Greece, I wish we would try to develop this sport in southern Greece (as there aren't really many rowing clubs there outside of the Athens area and a few islands). It's a wasted opportunity.

3 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Greece not even sending a team. With our coasts, lakes and rivers, we should really try to do better at this sport.

Most of our rowers are from northern Greece, I wish we would try to develop this sport in southern Greece (as there aren't really many rowing clubs there outside of the Athens area and a few islands). It's a wasted opportunity.

It's really difficult to be good at both rowing and canoeing at the same time. If you look at your nearby countries of similar size and resources that seems to be the trend, focusing on just one. 

4 hours ago, LDOG said:

It's really difficult to be good at both rowing and canoeing at the same time. If you look at your nearby countries of similar size and resources that seems to be the trend, focusing on just one. 

yeah, if you look at the powerhouses in both Rowing and Canoeing, only Germany and New Zealand are as good in both disciplines, with Poland and Australia trying to keep the pace, but still much more committed to one of the 2...

even Countries like USA, Great Britain and Italy are heavily unbalanced towards one of the 2 sports (in that case, Rowing)...meanwhile Hungary, Russia and Belarus are almost inexistent in Rowing (having just a few one-hit wonders rather than consistent programs)...

Our male K4 boat won't be in the final... At this point I think it's safe to say that Hungary is simply unable to deliver good results in this event. We can actually miss the Olympic qualification in Men's K4, which would be a disaster.

The lineups of the finals in the Olympic events so far:

Women's K4 500m - :GBR  :HUN  :ESP  :NZL  :POL  :GER  :AUS  :MEX  :CAN 

Men's K4 500m - :CAN  :SVK  :CZE  :GER  :ESP  :POL  :UKR  :FRA  :POR 

Women's C2 500m - :MDA  :GER  :FRA  :CHN  :CUB  :UKR  :HUN  :CAN  :POL 

Men's C2 500m - :FRA  :UKR  :CHN  :ITA  :POL  :ESP  :GER  :HUN  :LTU 

On 8/3/2022 at 5:44 PM, LDOG said:

Lol our guy won the heat but has a semifinal with Kopasz and Dostal. 

3rd place, obviously.  

Now lane 9 and probably finish between 7-9 in the final. Poor man has been making all major finals A last few years and always finishes close to bottom in them. 

On 8/4/2022 at 8:12 AM, LDOG said:

I'd say Lithuania is pretty good at balancing both rowing and canoeing and being competitive at both.

Key difference is that in canoe sprints we were mostly all in on the sprint distances, so with the Olympic changes we are just getting back on our feet right now.

One thing though, in Rowing we have good history in both men and women's events, but in canoeing sprint we've been sending men only to all of the major events for I don't know how many years now.