website statistics

Athletics WA Under 20 World Championships 2022

Totallympics

In the end it was a decent Championships for us. One gold and one silver, more or less what we expected. Also two fourth place finishes (are we the new Canada? :p). 

Our highlights (top 8 finishers) :

Korakidis winning gold in the men's hammer with a WL was great, although it's too bad Polychroniou finished 4th. I really wanted both on the podium. If not for the Finnish guy, all three medalists would've had the same national anthem :d

Filippidou silver in the women's discus with a SB was nice after her struggles this year. Hopefully next year she can get a new PB again because her progress stalled and Paris is looking unlikely for her at this point.

Pavlidis 4th in the men's discus after breaking the U20NR twice, wow! I thought Bouzakis was our contender in that event but he didn't even make the final.

Emmanouilidou 5th in the women's 200. I think if the conditions were better she would've had another U20NR. Her finishing 11th in the 100 was also good. I can't remember the last time we had a female sprinter this promising, probably not since Thanou. It's too bad there was no European U20 this year, she would've won gold in the 200!

Kassou 8th in 3000 and 9th in 5000, also really good as we don't normally do well in these distance events. If we had a European U20 this year, she would've won medals.

Rapti 8th in the women's triple jump is decent, but her progress seems to have stalled the last two years as she's barely improved her PB. She's still only 18, but she had 12.87 in 2020, 12.96 in 2021, and 13.11 in 2022. She needs a big improvement next year, something like 13.50.

Top of the medal table:

image.png

Surprisingly GB is in 17th place with only 1G 2B. I assume some of their eligible athletes might have preferred the Commonwealth Games?

In total 34 nations won a medal. 

Jamaica is looking ready to continue dominating women's sprinting.

Strong showing by South Africa in 5th place, winning the 400m M and shot put W.

For the Dutch it's our best result yet in an U20 WC, improving on 1G 1S 1B in both 1992 and 2000.