website statistics

Athletics WA Under 20 World Championships 2022

Totallympics

37 minutes ago, Belle said:

What happened to Thelander in Decathlon Pole Vault? Did he quit to jump after 4.40? :mumble:

I think so, it mostly just looked like he had nothing left. It did keep him in the race, although he'd have needed at least 10 or 20 centimeters more to get himself in a real good position..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Day 2 will be interesting. I expect Chasos to qualify for the men's high jump final, and both of our guys (Korakidis and Polychroniou) to qualify for the men's hammer throw final. Also hoping for a new U20NR from Emmanouilidou in the women's 100 (her PB of 11.44 is so close to Thanou's U20NR of 11.43). It would be nice to see at least one of Roumtsios/Stamatonikolos get another PB after they both did so today.

Well, Chasos finished 13th and narrowly missed out on the men's high jump final :cry:. He passed 2.00 and 2.04 but failed at 2.08. He had 2.19 indoors and 2.12 outdoors this year, so it's quite disappointing that he wasn't able to do better and at least make the final.

Korakidis and Polychroniou both made the men's hammer final and will be contending for medals hopefully :fingers:

Emmanouilidou had 11.55 which was enough to finish 2nd in her heat and 12th overall. She was in lane 8 and the wind was bad. She will probably need a U20NR in the semifinals in order to make the final. I'd love to see her do it. Looking forward to that!

Roumtsios was close to his PB and Stamatonikolos...well at least he made the final with a PB in the qualifying :p (he finished 12th in the final)

Mitsiouli making the semifinals in the women's 400 hurdles was a pleasant surprise. She did it with the second best time of her career, hopefully she can make a PB in the semifinals because we know she won't make the final. It's too bad Chatzipourgani has been MIA, she was our big talent from this age group in 400 hurdles. She had 59.01 in 2020 but barely competed in 2021 and hasn't competed at all in 2022. I really thought she would be under 58 seconds by now...

Tomorrow is another day...would like for our long jump girls to have get new PBs, I don't know if they are capable of making the finals. PB from Mitsiouli (w 400 hurdles) and for Emmanouilidou (w 100) to make the final with a U20NR. We also have Filippidou in the women's discus final and Triantafyllou in the women's pole vault final. And Dragomirova in the heptathlon. All 7 of our athletes tomorrow are women. Filippidou prob our first real chance for a medal.

13 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Are we sure about this? I haven't seen any event here having more than two competitors from the same country.

I've read the qualification system and yeah, seems that three can be registered, but only two allowed to compete in the same event.

They definitely changed this rule recently, because that wasn't the case before apart from u18 category. 

Edit: Just looked up EU u20 in Tallinn, and you could register four, enter three there. 

So I guess world u20 just followed the u18 route, which I don't necessarily agree with. They really tried to limit the amount of participants by raising the qualifying marks substancially. 

Then we have such events like men's high jump with 16 participants, where three had an NM, so only one athlete with a height didn't qualify to the final and that qualifying mark was not as good as a PB from one of our u20 jumpers that is at home.