website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

1 minute ago, mrv86 said:

Two frontrunners for the 2022 CAC Games:

The first one is Mayagüez, who'll repeat as host after just 12 years, and has mayor support from the regional mayors and Puerto Rico's goernment; however, any official bid will be announced after Tuesday's election.

The second one is Colombia, but not with Barranquilla, rather they would pick Bucaramanga, as stated by the local and national sports authorities.

The Dominican Republic is torn between those who are asking the government to move ahead and host the Games four years in advance as they have already planned (they are the sole bidder for the centennial edition), but another sector is opposed to that measure or even been considered as a sub-venue for a handful of disciplines.

Guatemala and El Salvador are said to be also interested, but I doubt they'll be picked: the former declined to host 2018 with only a couple of years to go and the later has had to postpone the 2022 Central American Games (a different event) until December 2022, so not exactly a move in the right direction.

So...is there a city in Colombia that isn’t interested in/hasn’t hosted a multi-sport games :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, intoronto said:

Looks like :SRI is planning a bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games 

(https://ceylontoday.lk/news/sl-gearing-up-for-2026-commonwealth-games-bid)

That would be great for Sri Lanka as a nation 

P. S: Are you by any chance  Sportsfan1234

:ESA San Salvador & :PUR Mayagüez are the two bids for the 2022 Central American & Caribbean Games

Personally I’d love to see either :COL or :DOM host it, as rhe Salvadorean government is currently a parasite of Mexican government funds and Puerto Rico plan to seek for alternate hosta for a number of sports.

1 minute ago, mrv86 said:

:ESA San Salvador & :PUR Mayagüez are the two bids for the 2022 Central American & Caribbean Games

Personally I’d love to see either :COL or :DOM host it, as rhe Salvadorean government is currently a parasite of Mexican government funds and Puerto Rico plan to seek for alternate hosta for a number of sports.

Well, DOM already committed to hosting in 2026, and didn’t feel comfortable hosting in 2022. I have no clue why Colombia hasn’t submitted a replacement candidate. This was perfect for them.

San Salvador keeps going for multi-sports games, but I don’t think they’re in a position to host either. At least Mayaguez hosted in 2010, so they hopeful have much of the infrastructure needed. They will definitely have to find some partners to help them. Let time I think Mexico, Colombia, and Guyana all hosted event along with them.

Neither of these bids are ideal, but I think the CAC Games are in a tough spot right now.

FISU publish new Summer World University Games statistics book

The statistics book for the Winter Games are also available for download

Summer FISU World University Games

Winter FISU World University Games

The books are at the bottom of the pages.

8 minutes ago, PHI2019 said:

FISU publish new Summer World University Games statistics book

The statistics book for the Winter Games are also available for download

Summer FISU World University Games

Winter FISU World University Games

The books are at the bottom of the pages.

I was reading through the Winter version on the Olympic World Library last week. It’s fairly comprehensive, and quite interesting in my opinion.

I think it’s fair to say Ski Orienteering was a hit at 2019 Winter Universaide. The sport got added to the 2021 Winter Universaide after the Games, and now it’s been made a compulsory sport by the FISU starting at the 2027 Winter Universaide. Source: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1101285/ski-orienteering-fisu-2027-university

Interestingly, the IOC rejected its inclusion in the Winter Olympic program back in 2006 (along with Ski Mountaineering and Winter Triathlon). I think it might be time for the IOC to consider SkiO and SkiMo for inclusion once more...