website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

It’s is interesting that the federation who oversees basically the world’s biggest celebration of colonization, has also been most willing to discuss humans rights issues within it’s member states. There was that big UNICEF drive during the Glasgow 2014 OC, and a emphasis on aboriginal culture throughout Gold Coast 2018 (they also gave aborigines a platform during the games). Maybe the IOC should take a few notes from the CGF’s holding of this “issue.”

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/06/2020 at 10:04, Fly_like_a_don said:

Is there no beach Sepaktakraw this time 

Why’d you ask? If it’s because you wanted to see it, I might have some goodies.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

ooh, 2022 Euro Champs might not be dead just yet. These a four big pickups ups for the event. Canoe Sprint and Table Tennis have been keys sports to the European Games, so this could be a big loss for the EOC. Of course, sports can probably feature at both events.

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

ooh, 2022 Euro Champs might not be dead just yet. These a four big pickups ups for the event. Canoe Sprint and Table Tennis have been keys sports to the European Games, so this could be a big loss for the EOC. Of course, sports can probably feature at both events.

Ugh, if this is going to stick, I hope this bitchfight between the two sides will be over at some point. 'Euro(pean) Champs' is the worst possible name for an event like this, it is so generic :lol: 

"I'm going to watch the European table tennis championships at the European championships" sounds rather double. "I'm going to watch table tennis at the European championships" sounds like you're going to watch the European table tennis championships instead of table tennis that happens to be at a sort of, kind of multi-sports event.

What this whole combined Euro championships ends up being is just a collection of random European championships nobody - except for a handful of die hards - sees as a multi-sports event :p Unlike the European Games, even though I can't remember that being very popular, at least here nobody really cared.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Ugh, if this is going to stick, I hope this bitchfight between the two sides will be over at some point. 'Euro(pean) Champs' is the worst possible name for an event like this, it is so generic :lol: 

"I'm going to watch the European table tennis championships at the European championships" sounds rather double. "I'm going to watch table tennis at the European championships" sounds like you're going to watch the European table tennis championships instead of table tennis that happens to be at a sort of, kind of multi-sports event.

What this whole combined Euro championships ends up being is just a collection of random European championships nobody - except for a handful of die hards - sees as a multi-sports event :p Unlike the European Games, even though I can't remember that being very popular, at least here nobody really cared.

They just need to combined the two ideas. The European Games should be the European Championships for all sports involved. If they need to take place in the Winter Olympic year to make that happen, then that’s the compromise that needs to be made. Of course, this puts them in direct competition with the second largest multi-sports games in the world, the Asian Games.

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

They just need to combined the two ideas. The European Games should be the European Championships for all sports involved. If they need to take place in the Winter Olympic year to make that happen, then that’s the compromise that needs to be made. Of course, this puts them in direct competition with the second largest multi-sports games in the world, the Asian Games.

I don't much care what they end up with, as long as it's not a semi-multi-sports event that isn't really separate European championships but also isn't really like a European Games - which is what we've got now. Having a full-blown European Games is fine for me, not having any combined thing is perfectly fine for me as well, they just have to make up their mind.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!