website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

5 hours ago, Vojthas said:

Why Doha still have motivation to hold another Asian Games given it held once and going to hold the FIFA World Cup. Why not Doha fight for the Summer Olympics?

And for Riyadh, I even doubt that if female beach volleyball, diving and gymnastics could be held as usual, spectators and live streaming are also problems.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Why Doha still have motivation to hold another Asian Games given it held once and going to hold the FIFA World Cup. Why not Doha fight for the Summer Olympics?

And for Riyadh, I even doubt that if female beach volleyball, diving and gymnastics could be held as usual, spectators and live streaming are also problems.

if I'm not wrong they simply can't host the Olympics because of the city size. even during 2006 AG some teams (finished their competition in first week) were told to leave the village soon to make room for other teams not arrived yet.

if Qatar hosts we will have a new wave of naturalization in almost every sport, they usually do that when they host big events.

but it's interesting to see Saudi Arabia in the race, I used to have Saudi sport channels and even during the Olympics (for athletes competition for example) they cut the live stream whenever it's a women's race. (they do that in Iran too for most sports) so it's hard to imagine how they want to host beach volleyball events for example. but with this MBS guy you never know, he wants to show the world his country is modern and doesn't care about anything else.

10 years is a long time though, both countries can go bankrupt if the oil price stays this low !

btw in a very unpopular opinion I like this Sheikh Ahmad guy. :d OCA takes some stupid decisions here and there but in general they are not doing bad comparing to other continents and specially the IOC.

19 minutes ago, MHSN said:

if I'm not wrong they simply can't host the Olympics because of the city size. even during 2006 AG some teams (finished their competition in first week) were told to leave the village soon to make room for other teams not arrived yet.

if Qatar hosts we will have a new wave of naturalization in almost every sport, they usually do that when they host big events.

but it's interesting to see Saudi Arabia in the race, I used to have Saudi sport channels and even during the Olympics (for athletes competition for example) they cut the live stream whenever it's a women's race. (they do that in Iran too for most sports) so it's hard to imagine how they want to host beach volleyball events for example. but with this MBS guy you never know, he wants to show the world his country is modern and doesn't care about anything else.

10 years is a long time though, both countries can go bankrupt if the oil price stays this low !

btw in a very unpopular opinion I like this Sheikh Ahmad guy. :d OCA takes some stupid decisions here and there but in general they are not doing bad comparing to other continents and specially the IOC.

I think the village size won't be a big problem again and I'm OK with the naturalization as it will trigger tenser competition and Qatar and Bahrain will do it anyway.

If the AG will make Saudi Arabia accept the women's sports and women spectators, it would be a huge progress and I will definitely vote for them.

27 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Damn, India missed a very good shot to redeem themselves after Delhi 2010. Oh well.

Conversely, I think Dehli 2010 would have dogged their bid the entire time. The Philippines would have had the same issue with the 2019 SEA Games. I kind of wish Turkmenistan had submitted a bid honestly. Life in the country sucks, and the government doesn’t deserve to host events like the Asian Games, but the 2017 AIMAG was good for all the right reasons. Taiwan is potentially another good candidate. I just don’t see China ever letting that happen in the near feature. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

I think the village size won't be a big problem again and I'm OK with the naturalization as it will trigger tenser competition and Qatar and Bahrain will do it anyway.

If the AG will make Saudi Arabia accept the women's sports and women spectators, it would be a huge progress and I will definitely vote for them.

I actually thought that MBS would liberalize (loosen the tight restrictions of) Saudi Arabia a little bit. Of course everyone hoped that before he offed that journalist. I don’t have a lot of trust in the Saudis. I do like the Qataris though. They have liberalized their society (in terms of their neighbors), they’ve proven they can host large events, and they generally have well organized events. The spectator thing doesn’t bother me as much as it bothers other people though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

they simply don't have enough hotels for all those athletes, officials, fans, spectators. AG is still a big event but we know not so many people travel to watch the competition.

and while Qatar and Bahrain always naturalize but it's very different when Qatar hosts, they buy an entire Handball team when they host the WCh, how many players they added to that team ? not much. as far as I know in other times it's more like those athletes offer themselves to Qatar. while when they host Qatar simply search the world for eligible athletes to buy.

well OCA let Indonesia drop as many events as they wanted from 2018 AG (for different reasons off course) I'm not sure if they push Saudi into hosting anything they don't want. it will be an interesting challenge.

I'm not so sure about things in Saudi Arabia, my knowledge is limited about them but as far as I know the country is not ready for this yet. this is tooooo much for a country where most women don't even leave the house without their husbands. and nobody else (I mean no other men) never saw their faces in their entire life ! (except husband, father, brother) you can't simply jump from 0 to 100. things should develop slowly

32 minutes ago, MHSN said:

they simply don't have enough hotels for all those athletes, officials, fans, spectators. AG is still a big event but we know not so many people travel to watch the competition.

and while Qatar and Bahrain always naturalize but it's very different when Qatar hosts, they buy an entire Handball team when they host the WCh, how many players they added to that team ? not much. as far as I know in other times it's more like those athletes offer themselves to Qatar. while when they host Qatar simply search the world for eligible athletes to buy.

well OCA let Indonesia drop as many events as they wanted from 2018 AG (for different reasons off course) I'm not sure if they push Saudi into hosting anything they don't want. it will be an interesting challenge.

I'm not so sure about things in Saudi Arabia, my knowledge is limited about them but as far as I know the country is not ready for this yet. this is tooooo much for a country where most women don't even leave the house without their husbands. and nobody else (I mean no other men) never saw their faces in their entire life ! (except husband, father, brother) you can't simply jump from 0 to 100. things should develop slowly

I hope it will be held in West or Central Asia and looking forward to Saudi's response to women's sports as it can't be a men's game only.

12 hours ago, MHSN said:

Even so, I think politics will play its part again and MBS can use the Games as the main showcase for the Saudi 2030 Vision.

If they win, I somehow feel that something will happen and we will have a replacement for the host :p 

Swimming and Golf have both pulled out of the 2022 European Championships. I expected the European Championships model to lash much longer than this. I’d never thought I’d reach the day where the European Games had a higher chance of success than the European Championships :yikes: