website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Am 24.9.2016 um 22:18 schrieb MHSN:

This is completely up to the host nation to set the program, I believe only few sports like Beach soccer and beach volley have a safe place.

btw I have hard time to understand Iranian officials. they pulled out all team sports from the competition, Iran had a very good chance for few gold medals here. even in other sports they are just participating, without really caring about the results, they didn't use maximum quota they could. and also no female athletes at all !!

I can't understand, if they care, why sending such a depleted delegation, and if they don't care (which I can understand since this is not a big deal) why they are sending small group of athletes in 9 different sports !! :mumble:

To me it looks like they want to give athletes from exotic sports a chance (sports that are not in the asian games). On the other hand they clearly followed a low budget policy and thus they send only small groups of athletes and no teams. So this might be just a rotten compromise.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ledon said:

To me it looks like they want to give athletes from exotic sports a chance (sports that are not in the asian games). On the other hand they clearly followed a low budget policy and thus they send only small groups of athletes and no teams. So this might be just a rotten compromise.

Yeah probably, but still if they wanted to send MuayThai team for example, they could send a complete team ! because when you send a team, you have to send a coach and etc. so adding one of two more athletes won't be a big deal. it just doesn't make sense.

btw, some of these "exotic" sports will be in next Asian Games program thanks to OCA ! we will have Kurash, Ju-jitsu and Sambo and few more stupid sports there ! I think they just ruined the Asian Games with this.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb MHSN:

Yeah probably, but still if they wanted to send MuayThai team for example, they could send a complete team ! because when you send a team, you have to send a coach and etc. so adding one of two more athletes won't be a big deal. it just doesn't make sense.

btw, some of these "exotic" sports will be in next Asian Games program thanks to OCA ! we will have Kurash, Ju-jitsu and Sambo and few more stupid sports there ! I think they just ruined the Asian Games with this.

I think you are right, but if you send a full team in Muay Thai why not sending full teams in Ju-jitsu, Kurash etc. I think they clearly didn't want to send a big Delegation and thus every exotic federation was allowed to send max. 3 or 4 athletes. 

I think they introduce these new sports to please Indonesia. I don't think this will destroy asian games. At least Iran should benefit from these changes. :p 

8 minutes ago, ledon said:

I think you are right, but if you send a full team in Muay Thai why not sending full teams in Ju-jitsu, Kurash etc. I think they clearly didn't want to send a big Delegation and thus every exotic federation was allowed to send max. 3 or 4 athletes. 

I think they introduce these new sports to please Indonesia. I don't think this will destroy asian games. At least Iran should benefit from these changes. :p 

I mean Asian Games is a prestigious event, (unlike this Asian Beach Games) giving medals to these sports will decrease the prestige of Asian Games medals , these sports are not developed and are quite similar to other combat sports already in the games, for examples those who are in Kurash or Jujitsu teams failed to make the Judo team !

this is funny that Indonesia is not even good in these sports, (I mean in some of them, they are probably good in few other new sports like Pencak Silat !)

vor 32 Minuten schrieb MHSN:

I mean Asian Games is a prestigious event, (unlike this Asian Beach Games) giving medals to these sports will decrease the prestige of Asian Games medals , these sports are not developed and are quite similar to other combat sports already in the games, for examples those who are in Kurash or Jujitsu teams failed to make the Judo team !

this is funny that Indonesia is not even good in these sports, (I mean in some of them, they are probably good in few other new sports like Pencak Silat !)

Yeah I know what you mean. On the other side we have already not very developed sports in asian games like Wushu, Sepak taktaw or Kabaddi. But I get your point. This time we will have so many redundant martial Art sports. If I could I would remove some of them immediately.

Also this time we will have bridge in the asian games :facepalm:.

Amyhow I like that the asian games include non olympic sports, but this time it will be too many.

vor 14 Minuten schrieb JoshMartini007:

When I have Pan Am/Commonwealth Games discussions one criteria I used was whether or not we have at least 8 competitive nations (as in, won't get embarrassed) in each sport. If not then maybe the sport shouldn't be in the games.

Using this criteria will be very difficult in the asian games since we have hardly 8 competitive nations in Swimming in asia. Surely we have not 8 competitive nations in sports like baseball, Water Polo, Rugby  etc.

6 hours ago, MHSN said:

5 hours ago, ledon said:

Yeah I know what you mean. On the other side we have already not very developed sports in asian games like Wushu, Sepak taktaw or Kabaddi. But I get your point. This time we will have so many redundant martial Art sports. If I could I would remove some of them immediately.

Also this time we will have bridge in the asian games :facepalm:.

Amyhow I like that the asian games include non olympic sports, but this time it will be too many.

Three ABG 2014 sport migrated to Asian Games, this is quite funny. Sambo and Kurash? Amazing if you are able to find 10 people who know this sport in the streets :lol:

Wushu and sepak takraw already became the core of Asian Games, hard to see them omitted in future editions (although still dominated by certain countries). Meanwhile cricket and kabaddi are rather in danger, even cricket almost dropped from the program (Indonesia reluctantly accepted it after a few negotiations and leads to the addition of cricket in our National Games to form a national team).

Bridge, pencak silat, and jetski are clearly Indonesian initiatives - you know.. hosting benefits :p

I just hoped that unpopular martial arts stay in AIMAG until they have more than 30 countries take part in it, but let's see what happen in 2018

Edited by Griff88

Qualification procedures to the 2018 Youth Olympics were announced about two weeks ago. Many dates have yet to be finalized, but you can see the general idea of qualification. However, most sports have yet to publish the qualification procedures (because there are few/no dates known), here is what I have so far.

Archery

Badminton

Equestrian

Judo

Sailing