website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

41 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Why are they playing “beach water polo” in a pool?

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

It's an urban discipline... shorter pool and less people playing at a time.

At past beach games, like the Asian Beach Games and Mediterranean Beach Games, the organizers floated pontoons out into the surf and created a rectangle shaped playing area with those. The players then had to contend with the surf/tide during match, while also having a place to sit/rest. I’m not sure if that’s what the idea here is, or if it’s just what you said @intoronto

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

At past beach games, like the Asian Beach Games and Mediterranean Beach Games, the organizers floated pontoons out into the surf and created a rectangle shaped playing area with those. The players then had to contend with the surf/tide during match, while also having a place to sit/rest. I’m not sure if that’s what the idea here is, or if it’s just what you said @intoronto

Sorry the last part cut out for me. It was supposed to say FINA ended up calling it beach water polo to distinguish it from the version at the Olympics. At the 2019 world's, the demonstration event was held at the competition venue for the Olympic discipline....with the court being formed to the 3x3 shape etc.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

So that makes three south american cities in a row, which have never happened before. Guess the north american nations are not interested anymore.

Realistically only 3 can host in North America atm, and two just hosted within the last 10 years + USA busy with 2028 and possibly a SLC winter bid. Interest would be lukewarm. Though rumours were Montreal were interested, but I guess not.

3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Hopefully neither tbh. Commonwealth Games are pretty much a dead event after 2022 and there is no "need' for WOG in Canada atm.

The IOC need a cheap WOG ... and Vancouver is the best candidate ...

Also Panam is more dead event then Commonwealth 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2021 at 8:28 PM, intoronto said:

Hope they at least don’t use tin for the roof at the athletes village.