website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

28 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Per ATR, the 2022 CAC games will likely be moved to November or March 2023. @mrv86 @Olympian1010

Interesting, neither of those dates are ideal. We might be witnessing the beginning of the end of the end of the CAC Games, which is a crying shame. I believe these are the oldest multi-sports after the Olympics in the world. The first edition was in 1926. They beat the British Empire Games by 4 years. That’s 25 years before the Mediterranean Games, Pan American Games, and Asian Games (which all began in 1951). There’s an even further gap to the Pacific Games (which started in 1963), and African Games (which started in 1965). It would be a huge loss to lose such a historic event no matter how you feel about it. I can see how Panama 2022 organizers are in a rough place though. There’s something like 25 (yes, you reas that right) multi-sports games scheduled for 2022 now; not to mention all the rescheduled world championships and the late World Cup.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

There’s not much else to talk about at the moment, so I don’t think anyone cares. I debating about asking more questions. We usually do a little weekly podcast for Totallympics Media, but we’ve been off lately because of Covid-19. Maybe an interview about your experiences at the World Games would be a good way to bring it back this summer if you’re interested. If you’re down for that, we talk more in Twitter DMs about the details.

Yeah, I’ve noticed we look more like the Hobo Olympic Team than the U.S. National Team when it comes to the World Games. In fairness, at least we had an actual flag bearer (which is more than some other countries could say). It’s unfortunate the U.S. didn’t give you guys the “Olympic experience” though. 

Our sport climbers were barred from the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics because the (then) USOC refused to send athletes in “non-Olympic sports” (which was a lame excuse, since sport climbing is on the program in 2020 (and probably here to stay for a while)). 

I heard that the games were really popular in Central European, but it’s nice to hear confirmation of that. I’m not super hopeful Birmingham 2022 (World Games, not Commonwealth Games) will catch the attention of the public. I will say the LOC is doing their best. They’ve had a great outreach program at local schools to get kids interested, and they’ve toured Alabama to drum up so interest in the local communities. I would imagine they’ll strike some type of broadcast deal with FOX, NBC, or ESPN (though ISB will be the host broadcaster again thankfully (which means the world feed will good as long as you have a vpn)), but I would imagine that the games won’t get a ton of air-time (though I’d love to surprised). The World Games did start right here in the Golden State in 1987, so maybe there’s still some lingering interest (though I doubt it). 

Maybe the tournament would have been better (for the Polish) without the Americans in hindsight :p

The French, Russians, Italians, Germans, Chinese always get kitted-out no matter what games it is. 

That’s a great story. When my dad graduated from U of Montana, he didn’t try out for any teams. He did pretty much go right into coaching American Football, Athletics, and Wrestling though. He coached quite a few high school state champions in Athletics and Wrestling in Oregon. American Football was always his favorite child though. He got invited to coach in Finland, and was ready to go, but that fell through at the last minute. It’s a good thing too, since he met my mother right after that :d

Despite the USOPC not recognizing that the World Games exist. I still very much managed to have the “Olympic experience!” Staying in the athletes village at the university, going to other sporting events (the floorball final was amazing), meeting other athletes at bars and just wearing your credentials around and random people stopping to ask you what sport you played and where you were from was anything wilder than I ever thought would happen when I boarded that plane to Wroclaw. It also got me super interested in multi-sport events, they fascinate me. I would love to be on your podcast and could talk for days about the World Games.

Im really interested to see how Birmingham will turn out. I hope for the best and plan on going as a volunteer. I’m just curious how they are working towards this and I have not heard or seen anything from the USOPC about the event. How could have Birmingham even big w/o NOC approval? It just seems strange to me. Although, I do bet the US gets a kit sponsor this time, the BLOC won’t let the host nation look like a bunch of “hobos” walking into Legion Field.

One other thing about non-Olympic sports and the USOPC, I did notice they sent teams in roller sports, wakeboarding, and bowling ( a few friends from Wroclaw were on that team) to the Pan Am Games this past summer despite not being Olympic Sports. Also, last year, the USOPC had a small countdown clock on their website for the ANOC Beach Games which were supposed to be in San Diego until they were pulled. I found that interesting.

Glad for your sake that your fathers coaching gig in Finland fell through. The Maple League is one of the top leagues in Europe these days, and they’re actually supposed to start their season soon. I have a bunch of friends playing and coaching in Europe, and it’s a great gig if you’re young and don’t have a family. 

17 minutes ago, JohnFoyne said:

Despite the USOPC not recognizing that the World Games exist. I still very much managed to have the “Olympic experience!” Staying in the athletes village at the university, going to other sporting events (the floorball final was amazing), meeting other athletes at bars and just wearing your credentials around and random people stopping to ask you what sport you played and where you were from was anything wilder than I ever thought would happen when I boarded that plane to Wroclaw. It also got me super interested in multi-sport events, they fascinate me. I would love to be on your podcast and could talk for days about the World Games.

Im really interested to see how Birmingham will turn out. I hope for the best and plan on going as a volunteer. I’m just curious how they are working towards this and I have not heard or seen anything from the USOPC about the event. How could have Birmingham even big w/o NOC approval? It just seems strange to me. Although, I do bet the US gets a kit sponsor this time, the BLOC won’t let the host nation look like a bunch of “hobos” walking into Legion Field.

One other thing about non-Olympic sports and the USOPC, I did notice they sent teams in roller sports, wakeboarding, and bowling ( a few friends from Wroclaw were on that team) to the Pan Am Games this past summer despite not being Olympic Sports. Also, last year, the USOPC had a small countdown clock on their website for the ANOC Beach Games which were supposed to be in San Diego until they were pulled. I found that interesting.

Glad for your sake that your fathers coaching gig in Finland fell through. The Maple League is one of the top leagues in Europe these days, and they’re actually supposed to start their season soon. I have a bunch of friends playing and coaching in Europe, and it’s a great gig if you’re young and don’t have a family. 

It’s good to hear that you got the multi-sports experience at least.

I haven’t quite decided between volunteer or media yet for the 2022 World Games. I don’t think any of those processes will open until next summer at the earliest, so I’ll wait and see where I am then. USOPC isn’t supporting the event from my understanding. They just don’t wish to be involved. Birmingham win the bid because cities bid for the World Games, not the NOC. The process is open to any city/collection of cities. I think the U.S. will get a better kit this time.

Yeah, I’m not sure how that works. They supported the ANOC Beach Games because they are a member of ANOC.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Personally, I’d chose Commonwealth Games over World Cup games any day, but obviously I’m very much in the minority there :p

45 minutes ago, intoronto said:

To be honest, this could be Canada's only chance to host a Men's World Cup, even if it's a "joint" bid.

I think Hamilton could choose a date probably after the eightfinals, as I doubt Toronto could host a match after that.

I only hope that Mexico retires from this joke as soon as possible.

Assuming the 2021 Winter EYOF even takes place, the teams for the boy’s ice hockey tournament are...

Group A: :SWE:CZE:FIN 

Group B: :RUS:BLR:LAT 

Source: https://eyof2021.fi/the-countries-participating-in-the-boys-ice-hockey-tournament-confirmed/

Pictograms for the 2020 Asian Beach Games:

BB4FAEF5-C54E-4989-89D4-FCFCA40CC266.jpeg

Who ever designed the Beach Woodball pictogram has clearly never watched Woodball (it’s basically Croquet from what I’ve seen). Besides, that the pictograms are pretty generic. The 3D effect is a nice touch. I’m not the biggest fan of the Sport Climbing pictogram either. Surfing needs a better position too.

15 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Pictograms for the 2020 Asian Beach Games:

BB4FAEF5-C54E-4989-89D4-FCFCA40CC266.jpeg

Who ever designed the Beach Woodball pictogram has clearly never watched Woodball (it’s basically Croquet from what I’ve seen). Besides, that the pictograms are pretty generic. The 3D effect is a nice touch. I’m not the biggest fan of the Sport Climbing pictogram either. Surfing needs a better position too.

Is there no beach Sepaktakraw this time 

14 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Is there no beach Sepaktakraw this time 

No, doesn’t seem so. I’m not the biggest fan of the program this year in all honesty.

They left out one of the female beach wrestling weight classes. Sports Climbing is only done in the Speed Time Trial format. There’s only 4 events in Ju-Jitsu (just drop it at that point). Dragonboat features a bunch of unusual distances. Sailing has mostly youth-only events, and 3x3 is U23 only. 

I do actually like the the program outside of that though, so I’ll still find some events to get invested. Honestly, at this point,  it would just be nice to have a multi-sports games this year.