• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

What is it? 

Not the greatest picture, but this is what the OCA posted:

6F5670F5-A03D-443E-A266-CE9DD20BEDDE.jpeg

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

44 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not the greatest picture, but this is what the OCA posted:

6F5670F5-A03D-443E-A266-CE9DD20BEDDE.jpeg

If this is in Indonesia, some dumb people might thought it is inspired from hammer-and-sickle and people pouring over the road demanding it to be redesigned.

Time for some multi-sport gossip.

Rough week for the IWGA. From what I can gather, José Perurena López, President of the IWGA and the ICF, has tested positive for Clovid-19. I haven’t heard anything about his health status, but he is 75, so he does lie well within the at risk spectrum. It is also rumored that the IWGA isn’t exactly thrilled about Olympic postponement (duh). Rumors are going around that they are considering moving the dates of the 2021 World Games, but I’ve yet to hear of any real dialogue taking place. I’d said chances of postponement/bringing the games forward are fair depending on the dates the IOC chooses for Tokyo2020.

It’s been a less than ideal week for the FISU as well. The organizers of the 2021 Winter Universaide release a statement saying that they are monitoring the Covid-19 pandemic, and that they are worried as it has already cancelled multiple test events. From what I can gather, the LOC may already be looking at/considering postponement/cancellation options. I think it will be a few months before any begin decisions are made though. I do believe that this event could face cancellation (mainly because I don’t see postponement as an option) if the Clovis-19 situation doesn’t improve by the end of Summer around September/October. It seems problems relating to Covid-19 aren’t just an issue for the Winter Universaide either. Rumor has it that the organizers of the 2021 Summer Universaide are already looking at date changes to make sure the best athletes can participate at the games. They want to avoid conflict with Tokyo2020, but I don’t actually think moving the games will help honestly.

That’s all I’ve got for now. There isn’t exactly a lot of news to follow multi-sports wise these days after the postponement of Tokyo2020 :p

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

has tested positive for Clovid-19.

monitoring the Covid-19 pandemic

if the Clovis-19 situation doesn’t improve

Dude :p (in b4 "I know how to write it but I am lazy so I'll write extra characters")

World Games 2021 seem pretty likely to be moved, they already don't get much attention and being so close to the Olympics would just be dumb. Both Universiades happening at the planned dates? I don't see it, especially the summer version..

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

43 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Dude :p (in b4 "I know how to write it but I am lazy so I'll write extra characters")

But, importantly, when Trump misspells something, he clearly doesn't know how to write.

#banbestmen

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

World Games 2021 seem pretty likely to be moved, they already don't get much attention and being so close to the Olympics would just be dumb. Both Universiades happening at the planned dates? I don't see it, especially the summer version..

My phone loves to autocorrect Covid to Clovis for some reason. I would guess because Clovis is a town in California, and my phone thinks I’m talking about that :dunno:

I do apologize, I thought I’d caught them all. 

Yeah, I think the World Games might have to move. The current dates would have them ending a week or two before the Olympics probably. Personally I’d for still having next, but just a little further before the Olympics. 

Alright, so looking at the new dates for Tokyo2020, there are only three other multi-sports games who now find themselves in direct competition with the Olympics.

One is the Summer EYOF in Slovakia. I don’t see a reason to move this event, it’s for youth athletes anyway. Plus, the EOC don’t make a lot of revenue off the EYOF anyway.

The second event now in trouble is the Jeux De La Francophonie. The current dates are July 23 - August 1. Obviously those will have to change if they want any relevance. There is a TV market for these games, so it would be wise to move them. Personally, I want the games to moved into the window between the Summer Olympics and Summer Paralympics.

The third event in conflict is the World Games. They end on July 25, so I’d just suggest moving them a week forward. 

If we did those changes, we’d have a sweet multi-sports games calendar for 2021. We’d have games essentially every day from early May to early September :clap: