website statistics

Olympic Videos & Pictures

dcro

Came across this colour film of highlights from the 1948 men's road race. There is a brief bit of tandem track cycling first. Watch out for a fight between two of the riders during the race. Also interesting to see the riders repairing their own tyres during the race when not in the vicinity of the team pits.

5 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Came across this colour film of highlights from the 1948 men's road race. There is a brief bit of tandem track cycling first. Watch out for a fight between two of the riders during the race. Also interesting to see the riders repairing their own tyres during the race when not in the vicinity of the team pits.

You don’t get Rolls Royces as team cars very often! 

Another thing is that apart from this Olympics, road racing was actually illegal in the UK at this point, so it looks like the race is being held as a lapped race on private roads around Windsor Castle.    

And the starting pistol is a proper World War II revolver!  

• 1 month later...

the thing I just found :d

French TV goals Highlights of SVK Ice hockey matches against France and that almost national holiday game against Canada in Lillehammer 1994

The pronouciation of names...oh, I love my lovely frenchies :d

Wasn't sure where to post this, it's not completely "off topic", but couldn't find a thread where it would fit.

Anyway, I'm interested in experiences of people that had Eurosport Player during 2018 Olympic games, and even better, 2016 Summer ones, but not sure if ES player was a thing back then? Was it a thing in 2018 during Winter games?

In Croatia, our TV stations will have a terrible coverage of Tokyo games, that's for sure, and lots and lots of events will not be broadcasted, live or replays. So, I'm hoping that ESP might help there. Big wish is that every event will be available, but that probably will not be the case. 

So, how was it in 2018? And how it might be in 2021? Cheers.

34 minutes ago, Kirkpatrick said:

Wasn't sure where to post this, it's not completely "off topic", but couldn't find a thread where it would fit.

Anyway, I'm interested in experiences of people that had Eurosport Player during 2018 Olympic games, and even better, 2016 Summer ones, but not sure if ES player was a thing back then? Was it a thing in 2018 during Winter games?

In Croatia, our TV stations will have a terrible coverage of Tokyo games, that's for sure, and lots and lots of events will not be broadcasted, live or replays. So, I'm hoping that ESP might help there. Big wish is that every event will be available, but that probably will not be the case. 

2018 was in Eurosport Player, all races, all matches, all events live and possibility of replays 24/7 during the whole games, it was awesome.

2016 was only in our national TV, but their website had streaming of all matches/races/events, basically everything that was covered by the cameras. But except the competitions which were also televised in one of the 2 RTVS TV channels the remaining streams were without commentators.

Sochi 2014 was in one of our payed TV (except ice hockey tournaments which were strictly covered by the public TV), so it was even more awful, even if all streams on the TV Markíza website were commented if I remember well, however you had to pay around 10 euro for the whole games

London 2012 was great with our public TV, their site and everything available also in youtube, just like Vancouver 2010 my fav games

2 hours ago, Kirkpatrick said:

eurosport tv rights started in 2018, in 2016 it was up to the single national tv to put a streaming platform in place...

nothing to say about the coverage, they had all the feeds of every single race, normally with multiple commentaries (all the events that were shown on the linear tv channels in the various countries had their commentary put on the streams, too)...

what I didn't like at all, it was the fact that the tv pictures were awful*, since they only had 25 frame per second, which makes any sport almost unwatchble to me...

the English commentary was also a disaster for 95% of the events (it was the IBC's one, not the usual Eurosport commentators)...

and the worst thing of them all, the app for apple tv 4/4K was highly unstable, I had to uninstall and reinstall that app at least twice a day...

so, the idea was amazing, the actual result was to say the least reviewable...

I hope the picture quality improves a lot by the next Olympics (right now, it's better than 2 years ago, but still a bit under par if compared to the best OTT services in the world in these terms -NHL.tv and MLB.tv), but what I think does really need to change upsidedown are the apps for connected device...some of them (amazon fire tv stick, for instance) are just impossible to be used because they just can't manage the framerate correctly and the app design is a pure mess...

*it wasn't just because of my internet broadband connection, at that time I had a 200mbps FTTC connection, which worked at max speed with all the streaming services I tried (now I'm on a gigabit FTTH true fiber connection)...

p.s. don't get scared more than necessary...I'm well known to be a very, very diffcult man to be satisfied under this technical point of view...;)

Thank you, people. Very encouraging news about the events themselves, and while I do quite enjoy the higher quality streams, if it stays at least as current ESP streams, I'll be satisfied.

I reckon, when the time comes, we'll post some nice alternatives as well...