website statistics

Olympic Videos & Pictures

dcro

19 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Shame they had to abandon the tug-of-war as an event, but people kept getting their arms torn off.

As funny as that statement is, it is absolutely true. I don’t believe any major incidents happened at the Olympics, but the sport is known for its odd danger. The list of injuries includes people losing fingers, legs, arms, and (horrifically) heads. That’s not to mention injuries in which people don’t lose limbs.

It comes down to physics and safety. Those who play with the proper rules and equipment are fine, those who don’t...

Word of advice from my reading on the topic, NEVER use a nylon rope.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I used to wonder why it got removed, but hearing this I'm glad it did. :p

That's not to say the current program has no dangerous events. Javelin throwers for example basically spend their entire career destroying their arms.

#banbestmen

21 minutes ago, dcro said:

That's not to say the current program has no dangerous events. Javelin throwers for example basically spend their entire career destroying their arms.

Just goggled the worst Tug of War injuries in history. I have now seen a real photograph of a man lying next to his severed arm. I’m going to need some time to process this :(

Here is a really good article about fatal Tug of War incidents (no pictures): https://priceonomics.com/a-history-of-tug-of-war-fatalities/

Spoiler

Here’s the Snopes article showing and confirm the authenticity of the photo I saw: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/disarmament/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, dcro said:

They've also had to change the design of the javelin on a number of occasions as the distances being thrown were becoming so great they were beginning to threaten the safety of competitors in other events as well as officials. However, the pole vault is the event in which I most fear an horrific injury given the propensity of the poles to break from time to time. I genuinely fear that someone will impale themselves on a broken pole at some stage.

Incidentally I think the first competitor we see is Ed Archibald of Canada who shared in a three way tie for the bronze medal with a pole vault clearance of 3.58m. It's amazing to think they now jump around 2.5m higher than this.

I loved to watch all of the official Olympic films on YouTube, but sadly I didn’t find an official film for Beijing 2008, London 2012 or Rio 2016. Does anyone know whether those films actually exist?

By the way: While searching YouTube i found daily roundups from the 2012 olympics in case anyone is feeling nostalgic ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.