:BEL/:GRE/:NED/:RSA 1/0/0

:LTU 0/2/0

:IRL 0/1/3

:NZL 0/1/1

:CAN/:MDA/:SUI 0/1/0

:AUS 0/0/2

:BUL/:FRA/:POL 0/0/1

Additional notes:

1) China, Russia and Belarus didn‘t compete.

2) Biggest Winners (medals Gained in Olympic Events compared to the 2021 Edition):

Ireland: +3, Romania +2

New Zealand and Australia also „gained“ 2 medals, but they also didn’t compete in 2021 ...

3) Biggest losers (medals Lost in Olympic Events compared to the 2021 Edition):

Netherlands/Switzerland/Turkey: -2

4) New countries on the medal table compared to 2021 (Olympic events only):

Moldova, Australia (didn’t compete in 2021) and New Zealand (didn’t compete in 2021)

5) Countries that made the medal table in 2021 but not in 2022:

Turkey, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark

6) Number of finals (Olympic events only):

Germany: 9

GB/Italy: 8

Romania: 7

France/USA: 5

Australia/Ireland/Lithuania/Netherlands/Switzerland: 4

Canada/Poland: 3

Czech Republic/Greece/New Zealand/South Africa: 2

Belgium/Bulgaria/Denmark/Hungary/Moldova/Spain/Turkey/Uruguay: 1

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

7 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

U23 medal table (Olympic Events only):

:ITA 3/0/0

:GER 2/2/3

:GBR 2/2/1

:USA 2/2/0

:ROU 1/1/1

:BEL/:GRE/:NED/:RSA 1/0/0

:LTU 0/2/0

:IRL 0/1/3

:NZL 0/1/1

:CAN/:MDA/:SUI 0/1/0

:AUS 0/0/2

:BUL/:FRA/:POL 0/0/1

This table doesn't really do us justice.

We only sent 6 crews. The men were mediocre unlike last year where they won two golds (all of those athletes are too old for U23 now).

However, our women were amazing. Bourmpou/Fragkou won gold in the pair with a U23 world record (Bourmpou already had the previous record from 2019 with Maria Kyridou). Anastasiadou won gold in the lightweight single sculls with a U23 world record. Although it's not an "Olympic event," having an athlete win a gold in that event, in my opinion, is far more important than winning in a four or quadruple sculls. It's one of the strongest events with many entries, and obviously the goal is to be in the lightweight double sculls at the Olympic level.

Our other boat was 16 yo Dimitra Kontou in the women's single sculls who finished in 5th place, in a very strong event. Not only was she the youngest athlete in her boat class, but she was the youngest athlete in any boat from any nation in either gender at the entire World U23 Championships (not including coxswains). She did great and it seems that her and Anastasiadou will try to qualify for Paris together in the lightweight double. I guess we split them up here because Anastasiadou was guaranteed a gold in either event, so we probably put Kontou in the single to see if we could get two medals out of them instead of one.

I think we'll do even better in the U19 finals. We were second in the medal table at the Europeans in May (we had 3-1-0 and Romania had 3-1-1).

Dalidou/Natsioula not winning gold in the women's double would be a huge shock. They won their heat by 7+ seconds, they won their semifinal by 9+ seconds, and even at the Europeans they won the final by 9+ seconds.

Gkogkou is clearly the favourite to win gold in the women's single sculls as well. She won her heat by 13+ seconds and won her semifinal by 7+ seconds. She beat everyone else in the final easily already with the exception of the German sculler. They haven't faced off yet but the German has not been winning her races by big margins the way Gkogkou has. It would also be pretty funny if Gkogkou wins the World U19 title, as she placed only third at the National Championships in this event (Natisoula won gold and Kontou won silver).

I'm concerned about Argyraki/Asvesta. I'm confident that they'll win a medal, but I feel it may not be gold even though they are also the favourites to win, they have won races by less than one second.

As for our men's quadruple sculls, it's really even between :GRE :ITA :CZE :GER, so it's hard to predict but I hope our boys can win a medal. Our team is super young compared to most others so that will be a good sign as the rest of our young men have been quite disappointing.

14 hours ago, Makedonas said:

I think we'll do even better in the U19 finals. We were second in the medal table at the Europeans in May (we had 3-1-0 and Romania had 3-1-1).

Dalidou/Natsioula not winning gold in the women's double would be a huge shock. They won their heat by 7+ seconds, they won their semifinal by 9+ seconds, and even at the Europeans they won the final by 9+ seconds.

Gkogkou is clearly the favourite to win gold in the women's single sculls as well. She won her heat by 13+ seconds and won her semifinal by 7+ seconds. She beat everyone else in the final easily already with the exception of the German sculler. They haven't faced off yet but the German has not been winning her races by big margins the way Gkogkou has. It would also be pretty funny if Gkogkou wins the World U19 title, as she placed only third at the National Championships in this event (Natisoula won gold and Kontou won silver).

I'm concerned about Argyraki/Asvesta. I'm confident that they'll win a medal, but I feel it may not be gold even though they are also the favourites to win, they have won races by less than one second.

As for our men's quadruple sculls, it's really even between :GRE :ITA :CZE :GER, so it's hard to predict but I hope our boys can win a medal. Our team is super young compared to most others so that will be a good sign as the rest of our young men have been quite disappointing.

Well I ended up being right about all of this :d

Greece won the U19 medal table, great to see us "on top of the world" :bowdown:

Argyraki/Asvesta were trailing Italy the whole race, and right at the end we won gold by less than a second. Just like the Europeans where we beat Italy by less than a second. I do feel sorry for the Italian girls because they also deserved to win a gold (especially since both regattas were in their home, it would've been nice for them), but our girls showed heart in the end and I'm pleased with their performance.

Then we had the men's quadruple sculls, it was a really great race and I'm glad we managed to reach the podium. Papazoglou is from 2005 and Cholopoulos from 2006, so perhaps we will see them medal next year in the double and Cholopoulos in 2024 in the single :thumbup:

Dalidou/Natsioula dominated the race from start to finish as expected, and did so with a U19 world record :yes

Gkogkou also dominated her race from start to finish to win gold in the single sculls :)

What a year it has been for Greek women's rowing, 8 gold medals (3 at the European U19s, 2 at the World U23s, and now 3 at the World U19s). I'm sure we will take some more at the European U23s as well.

Junior (U19) Worlds

Final Medal Table (Olympic Events only, no Lightweights in this age class)

:GRE  3 / 0 / 1
:ITA  2 / 4 / 1
:GER  2 / 2 / 4
:GBR  1 / 2 / 1
:ROU  1 / 1 / 1
:USA  1 / 0 / 1
:CZE  1 / 0 / 0
:SRB  1 / 0 / 0
:DEN  0 / 1 / 0
:SLO  0 / 1 / 0
:TUR  0 / 1 / 0
:FRA  0 / 0 / 1
:SUI  0 / 0 / 1
:SVK  0 / 0 / 1 ( @hckošice Slovak Rowing is still alive! :yikes:)

6 minutes ago, phelps said:

Junior (U19) Worlds

Let me guess, Only 3 starters in the race ?

3 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Let me guess, Only 3 starters in the race ?

no, it happened in the men's Single scull, which was one of the most crowded* and competitive events of the whole program...;)

*29 starters, to be precise

23 minutes ago, phelps said:

Junior (U19) Worlds

No medals for the Dutch is a disappointing result, even if I haven't checked which boats were present.

11 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, it happened in the men's Single scull, which was one of the most crowded* and competitive events of the whole program...;)

*29 starters, to be precise

That is something hardly believable :d

Anyway, congrats to the kid then, hopefully it was not just a one day fluke.

2 hours ago, Jinzha said:

No medals for the Dutch is a disappointing result, even if I haven't checked which boats were present.

there were 8 Dutch boats...

4 made the B final (JM2- and JM4- finished 3rd, JM4X and JM1X finished 5th)...

4 made the A final (JM2X and JW2X finished 4th just outside the medals, JW1X finished 5th and JW4X ended up in 6th place)...