website statistics

Rowing FISA Under 19 & Under 23 World Championships 2022

Totallympics

The World U23 Championships begin 25/7 in Varese, Italy. Entries here:

https://worldrowing.com/event/2022-world-rowing-under-23-championships

The World U19 Championships begin 27/7, also in Varese. Entries here:

https://worldrowing.com/event/2022-world-rowing-under-19-championships

Considering we won gold in JW1X, JW2- and JW2X at the recent European Junior Championships, and we are sending the same crews in those boats, I expect medals here in all of those. Not sure about our JM4X who won silver, but that's another good chance for a medal. Hopefully we can end with 4-5 medals in the U19s.

For the U23s, I am disappointed (but not surprised) by how small our team is. Anastasiadou won silver in LW1X last year in her first year as a U23, she should definitely win another medal this year and hopefully gold (the Italian girl who beat her last year is too old now). Boumpou/Fragkou is an interesting combination for the women's pair, as Fragkou has never been in a sweep event but both have won tons of medals in the past so I guess they'll automatically be amongst the favourites to win. Not sure what to expect from 16 yo Kontou in W1X. I can't see her beating the likes of Foester and Janzen, but maybe she can surprise and win a bronze or something? She really should be in U19s instead. We have decent teams in LM2X, M2- and M2X and I think they all should make A Finals but I'm not sure about medals...

We have many people who belong to the U23 category that have won medals in the past who were not selected which is a bit disappointing because we could be winning more medals. Maria Kyridou was suspended from the national team so I understand she isn't here (which is totally ridiculous because she did nothing wrong), but others like Angeliki Arabatzi (who won bronze here last year in W2X in her first season as U23) was not selected even though she has a history in scull, sweep, and lightweight events and really could've been in any boat. I also think if U23s and U19s weren't at the same time, some others like Gkogkou and Natsioula would've competed in both instead of just U19s.

Our boys have been mediocre so far, with the exception of JM4X which won their heat.

However, our girls have been absolutely dominant.

Anastasiadou won her heat in BLW1X by 10+ seconds, setting a new World best time :yes

16 yo Kontou finished second in her heat (only 3.5 seconds behind Foester) in BW1X to advance to the semifinals.

Bourmpou/Fragkou comfortably won their heat in BW2- to advance to the final.

Now today, Dalidou/Natsioula finished 1st in their heat in JW2X by over 7 seconds to advance to the semifinals.

And Gkogkou won her heat in JW1X by 13+ seconds, and had the best time of all heats by 6 seconds.

We still have JW2-, JW4- and JW4X which have not competed yet.

U23 medal table (Olympic Events only):

:ITA 3/0/0

:GER 2/2/3

:GBR 2/2/1

:USA 2/2/0

:ROU 1/1/1

:BEL/:GRE/:NED/:RSA 1/0/0

:LTU 0/2/0

:IRL 0/1/3

:NZL 0/1/1

:CAN/:MDA/:SUI 0/1/0

:AUS 0/0/2

:BUL/:FRA/:POL 0/0/1

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

It's crazy how for such a small country, we somehow always manage to land on the medal table in many highly contested sports consistently.

The level of our average athletes is much lower than most countries, but we always manage to get enough of those good ones that just do the job :p 

15 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I believe there was a gold for :URU in U23 single LW. Same guy that made the olympic final in the doubles. Interesting career to follow there.

Uruguay also finished 4th in mens doubles. Would be Good to See a 5th continent Regularly Winning medals in rowing. 

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.