website statistics

Women's Football CAF African Cup of Nations 2022

Totallympics

I watched the fist match on CAF TV on YouTube last night and I was surprised to see quality and an alert pace of the game. Somehow Morocco proved the better team even if winning only by 1-0 but Burkina Faso did not surrender at all.

So, yesterday was the only day of this tournament with 3 matches. Luckily the 4 p.m. match between Senegal and Uganda didn't have to play in hot conditions as the temperature was listed by timeanddate.com to be on 24 Celsius. However it was a dull match in my opinion, with Senegal scoring it's second in the 50th minute and protecting a 2-0 victory to the end, even with spells of players on the ground needing medical attention, as far as they claimed.

Group B started with Zambia and Cameroon playing a goalless draw. To my shame I forgot about Banda, Zambia's star in Tokyo. She was neither in the lineup nor on the bench and later I learned she was not available for the championships.

Tunisia was a nice surprise to me but I think they are not a surprise for someone who follows closely women football in Northern Africa as they had some impressive results lately. After a 19th second opening and a 2-1 half time advantage, Tunisia won convincingly 4-1 having in Sabrine Ellouzi and Meriem Houij the top scorers of the tournament so far with 2 goals each.

Tonight: early shock in Group C: Nigeria vs South Africa, while heavy underdogs Burundi entertain Botswana. I say heavy because they lost this year to every side qualified here which they met in friendlies. :d

South Africa scored twice in a 3 minutes second half interval to upset Nigeria in a 2-1 win and Botswana are early leaders of Group 3 after defeating the other debutants from this group, Burundi 4-2.

Today in the early 2nd group A matchday Senegal were lucky enough to convert a late given penalty against a more agressive Burkina Faso who is now at the hands of also other teams (mostly next opponents Uganda and forementioned Botswana) in their attempt to qualify further.

Morocco managed to win 3-1 over Uganda after a 1-1 kind of leveled first half. Uganda now faces the same Burkina Faso's problems.

Theoretically in Group B all teams except Togo should get the quarter finals spots but we shall wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, 48 hours after the end of the competition I can say I was impressed with this tournament, I've seen good matches, good positioning in the field, great shots on target, determination, fair play, individual skills, even though not all matches looked like this.

Overall, women football in Africa is on the rise. :)