website statistics

Suggestions for Quota reductions on the existing sport program

intoronto

Thought of this idea for a thread. Where would you make cuts across the current core sport program to "free" up additional quotas for more sports, while making the least amount of problems possible. You cannot reduce the amount of teams in a team sport or drop a sport. 

Here my ideas (note: these are just ideas, and may or may not work).

Artistic Swimming = Reduce the team event to only 7 per team. =10

Football: -1 in each team = 28. Additional athletes will be allowed as alternates away from the village (and for all other team sports listed below).

Field hockey: -1 in each team = 24. 

Equestrian -9 in each discipline, which would mean a loss of three teams per event = 27. There is a disparity among the best and the lower teams. 

Golf = -10 in each gender. No reason why this sport needs that many per event, especially since its an individual event.  =20

Artistic Gymnastics -2 in each gender, there is no reason why this sport needs this many quotas  = 4

Rhythmic gymnastics -12 (bring it back to the 12 groups + 24 individuals) = 12

=115, you can add squash + maybe another sport

Notes: I didn't touch the sports that received quota reductions for Tokyo 2020. I also did not touch judo as that is a very universal sport. There really isn't anything else you can do without jeopardizing the quality of the competition. 

Reducing to 15 players a sport which has 11 starters and constant substitutions is simply dumb.

I also don't think 17 players would be optimal for a football squad with the amount of injuries and suspensions you see in that sport.

As for reductions, I always said I'm against team events of individual sports, so there I guess...

Maybe sailing has too many people in windsurf and laser events.

Edited by LDOG

10 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Reducing to 15 players a sport which has 11 starters and constant substitutions is simply dumb.

I also don't think 17 players would be optimal for a football squad with the amount of injuries and suspensions you see in that sport.

As for reductions, I always said I'm against team events of individual sports, so there I guess...

Maybe sailing has too many people in windsurf and laser events.

Football/Field hockey are the only possible team sports that can reduce quotas (Handball already subtracted one in the last quad) and all others are 12 or less. Its hard to subtract, but they need to come from somewhere. 

hace 8 minutos, intoronto said:

Football/Field hockey are the only possible team sports that can reduce quotas (Handball already subtracted one in the last quad) and all others are 12 or less. Its hard to subtract, but they need to come from somewhere. 

It's simply ridiculous to play field hockey with 15 players. It would be like a handball squad with 11 players. Like in handball, everyone except the keeper (and maybe one defender) is running from end to end all the time. And the hockey pitch is almost 100m long.

Football is possible (I guess) but it would become even more pathetic than it already is.

Edited by LDOG

first, drop the ipocracy of gender equality...

then, drop entire senseless sports (artistic swimming, trampoline, rhytmic gymnastics, dressage, skateboarding, freestyle BMX, surf, rugby 7s, the current no man's baseball...and of course this weightlifting and the farce of "amateur" -or "Olympic", name it as you prefer- boxing) or some events in some senseless sports (synchronized diving, individual time trial in cycling)...

after that, drop most of the places reserved to officials and IOC's guests...actually, this could be the first option...

finally, I'm pretty sure that the remaining sports not only don't need quota reduction, but they also have a shot to regain their technical dignity by increasing the number of competitive starters in any event (of any sport)...

frankly, I'm really tired of and annoyed by this everlasting buzz of "quota reduction"...it's time to choose an affordable number of sports to appear at the Games and let them have the best and strongest competition possible...:evil:

stop making most Olympic events a "technical farce" in the name of stupid ipocracy...:pope::wall: