website statistics
Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!
 

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to:

 

  • Post replies and open new threads
  • Give reputation to other members' posts
  • Get your own private messenger
  • Manage your profile

 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

 

Sign In | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
hckosice

Men's Golf PGA Tour 2018 - 2019

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

 

I suppose the Catholic minority in Ulster is even smaller than it was in the 70/80s though? Free travel is so much easier these days and I wouldn't be surprised if people simply moved away to England or some place else. Idk how many Ulster counties have a significant Catholic presence anymore but probably not many. Since you're from Donegal I suppose you've been to Derry several times. Do they still switch the name on display between weekdays? :rolleyes:

 

No, it's the opposite. On current trends, Catholics are predicted to outnumber Protestants in Northern Ireland by 2021. At the most recent census in 2011, 48% identified as Protestant vs 45% who identified as Catholic. And in terms of Ulster then, there is a comfortable Catholic majority, since 3 counties in the Republic (Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan) are predominantly Catholic.

 

And yes, Derry vs Londonderry is still and probably always will be a thing. The media tend to be diplomatic by referring to it as Derry-Londonderry, which is just stupid though.

 

And yes, I go to Derry regularly as I live only about 25-30 minutes away from the city :d

 

Is this still the golf thread? :d

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

In countries where nobody cares about golf, a good Olympic result might get more attention at first because the Olympics get at least some sort of attention everywhere :p 

 

It's no magic either. We had a foreigner winning two (!) Olympic medals in weightlifting, and that didn't help the sport one bit. I don't see Sabbatini making a golf revolution around Tatras.


All King Victor Emmanuel's Show Horses Can Make Really Beautiful People Fall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

 

No, it's the opposite. On current trends, Catholics are predicted to outnumber Protestants in Northern Ireland by 2021. At the most recent census in 2011, 48% identified as Protestant vs 45% who identified as Catholic. And in terms of Ulster then, there is a comfortable Catholic majority, since 3 counties in the Republic (Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan) are predominantly Catholic.

 

And yes, Derry vs Londonderry is still and probably always will be a thing. The media tend to be diplomatic by referring to it as Derry-Londonderry, which is just stupid though.

 

And yes, I go to Derry regularly as I live only about 25-30 minutes away from the city :d

 

Is this still the golf thread? :d

@OlympicIRL Have you ever read the short story “The Sniper”. It might be the best piece of All-Irish literature in my opinion.


“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

@OlympicIRL Have you ever read the short story “The Sniper”. It might be the best piece of All-Irish literature in my opinion.

 

I sure have... I read it at uni as part of my studies. Nice to know you have read it...part of your studies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OlympicIRL said:

 

I sure have... I read it at uni as part of my studies. Nice to know you have read it...part of your studies?

Yes, we were given a selection of 7 of the best short stories to read for a college credit exam and that’s 1 of the 4 I choose to read. The way that piece makes me feel is one of the reasons I love being a writer. My hope is to able to write something that good one day. The best part about the story though is that my one of my two favorite subjects of study is history. I know a good amount of Irish history so I got all the references and was able to explain them to my class as we talked about it.


“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, we were given a selection of 7 of the best short stories to read for a college credit exam and that’s 1 of the 4 I choose to read. The way that piece makes me feel is one of the reasons I love being a writer. My hope is to able to write something that good one day. The best part about the story though is that my one of my two favorite subjects of study is history. I know a good amount of Irish history so I got all the references and was able to explain them to my class as we talked about it.

 

That's awesome! Do you think you might study creative writing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ofan said:

 

What if you compared it to tennis? A country that does not care about tennis would no doubt prefer a grand slam win over an Olympic championship, assuming they win medals in other sports like Slovakia does

 

well, the biggest slovak tennis success was the olympic gold in 1988 and this is still mentioned as the boost of this sport in the country, Hantuchová always claimed that it´s watching Mečíř winning gold in Seoul what influenced her to start this sport

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rory Sabbatini in 3rd place after the first round of the Wyndham Championships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...