website statistics

Men's Golf PGA Tour 2018 - 2019

hckošice

30 minutes ago, dcro said:

I'm surprised that Sabbatini didn't win this. :yikes:

well, to be fair 16th place is more than fantastic. Absolutely unexpected. Such result in Tokyo would be for sure an unbelievable boost for this sport in the country.

Not surprising Europeans dominated this Open. Most Americans have problems with the links anyway and this was a new course for like most of them. JB Holmes shot +16 on the final day? Talk about going down the gutter. Everyone hyped McIlroy before the start and it's the old man Lowry who carried the flag in the end. I wonder how popular Eire victory is in Ulster? :p

47 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Not surprising Europeans dominated this Open. Most Americans have problems with the links anyway and this was a new course for like most of them. JB Holmes shot +16 on the final day? Talk about going down the gutter. Everyone hyped McIlroy before the start and it's the old man Lowry who carried the flag in the end. I wonder how popular Eire victory is in Ulster? :p

Shane received huge support all week from the crowd. The cheers he received on each tee and on each good shot was really something awesome. Golf is very much an all-Ireland oriented sport so everyone supports everyone and also the fact that the Golfing Union of Ireland is the governing body of amateur golf across the whole island (Northern Ireland and the Republic). So all these top golfers on the island grew up playing for Ireland.

But to give a real context, this is one of the few times you could feel safe to fly an Irish flag in this particular area of Northern Ireland :p 

I went to the stage of the Giro d’Italia that was hosted here a couple of years ago in this area and let’s just say, I would not have been able to wave my Irish flag :d.

I instead brought a Donegal flag to support local rider Philip Deignan. Even that got some “strange” looks :d 

Edited by OlympicIRL

Yeah, I suspect Eire & Ulster will never patch all things together and sport is such an obvious reason to manifest the differences. Lowry might have been spared the odd treatment bc golf is not really a "folk's sport" more like for the elites. I can only suspect the Eire minority in Ulster still has it pretty rough on everyday basis.

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

well, to be fair 16th place is more than fantastic. Absolutely unexpected. Such result in Tokyo would be for sure an unbelievable boost for this sport in the country.

In all fairness, wouldn't Slovakia benefit more from if he wins a major championship? No one really cares about the Olympic golf tournament as it currently stands. 

25 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, I suspect Eire & Ulster will never patch all things together and sport is such an obvious reason to manifest the differences. Lowry might have been spared the odd treatment bc golf is not really a "folk's sport" more like for the elites. I can only suspect the Eire minority in Ulster still has it pretty rough on everyday basis.

I must say that Ulster ≠ Northern Ireland though. I know a lot of people think that but it's not the case. I am from Ulster for example but I am from the Republic of Ireland.

Just now, ofan said:

In all fairness, wouldn't Slovakia benefit more from if he wins a major championship? No one really cares about the Olympic golf tournament as it currently stands. 

In countries where nobody cares about golf, a good Olympic result might get more attention at first because the Olympics get at least some sort of attention everywhere :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

In countries where nobody cares about golf, a good Olympic result might get more attention at first because the Olympics get at least some sort of attention everywhere :p 

What if you compared it to tennis? A country that does not care about tennis would no doubt prefer a grand slam win over an Olympic championship, assuming they win medals in other sports like Slovakia does

Just now, ofan said:

What if you compared it to tennis? A country that does not care about tennis would no doubt prefer a grand slam win over an Olympic championship, assuming they win medals in other sports like Slovakia does

I feel like tennis (at least the Grand Slams) get some attention everywhere (as in, at least a mention of who won Wimbledon) but I might be wrong :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I must say that Ulster ≠ Northern Ireland though. I know a lot of people think that but it's not the case. I am from Ulster for example but I am from the Republic of Ireland.

I suppose the Catholic minority in Ulster is even smaller than it was in the 70/80s though? Free travel is so much easier these days and I wouldn't be surprised if people simply moved away to England or some place else. Idk how many Ulster counties have a significant Catholic presence anymore but probably not many. Since you're from Donegal I suppose you've been to Derry several times. Do they still switch the name on display between weekdays? :rolleyes: