website statistics

Men's Golf PGA Tour 2018 - 2019

hckošice

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I suppose the Catholic minority in Ulster is even smaller than it was in the 70/80s though? Free travel is so much easier these days and I wouldn't be surprised if people simply moved away to England or some place else. Idk how many Ulster counties have a significant Catholic presence anymore but probably not many. Since you're from Donegal I suppose you've been to Derry several times. Do they still switch the name on display between weekdays? :rolleyes:

No, it's the opposite. On current trends, Catholics are predicted to outnumber Protestants in Northern Ireland by 2021. At the most recent census in 2011, 48% identified as Protestant vs 45% who identified as Catholic. And in terms of Ulster then, there is a comfortable Catholic majority, since 3 counties in the Republic (Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan) are predominantly Catholic.

And yes, Derry vs Londonderry is still and probably always will be a thing. The media tend to be diplomatic by referring to it as Derry-Londonderry, which is just stupid though.

And yes, I go to Derry regularly as I live only about 25-30 minutes away from the city :d

Is this still the golf thread? :d

Edited by OlympicIRL

42 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

In countries where nobody cares about golf, a good Olympic result might get more attention at first because the Olympics get at least some sort of attention everywhere :p 

It's no magic either. We had a foreigner winning two (!) Olympic medals in weightlifting, and that didn't help the sport one bit. I don't see Sabbatini making a golf revolution around Tatras.

#banbestmen

28 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

No, it's the opposite. On current trends, Catholics are predicted to outnumber Protestants in Northern Ireland by 2021. At the most recent census in 2011, 48% identified as Protestant vs 45% who identified as Catholic. And in terms of Ulster then, there is a comfortable Catholic majority, since 3 counties in the Republic (Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan) are predominantly Catholic.

And yes, Derry vs Londonderry is still and probably always will be a thing. The media tend to be diplomatic by referring to it as Derry-Londonderry, which is just stupid though.

And yes, I go to Derry regularly as I live only about 25-30 minutes away from the city :d

Is this still the golf thread? :d

@OlympicIRL Have you ever read the short story “The Sniper”. It might be the best piece of All-Irish literature in my opinion.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

@OlympicIRL Have you ever read the short story “The Sniper”. It might be the best piece of All-Irish literature in my opinion.

I sure have... I read it at uni as part of my studies. Nice to know you have read it...part of your studies?

Just now, OlympicIRL said:

I sure have... I read it at uni as part of my studies. Nice to know you have read it...part of your studies?

Yes, we were given a selection of 7 of the best short stories to read for a college credit exam and that’s 1 of the 4 I choose to read. The way that piece makes me feel is one of the reasons I love being a writer. My hope is to able to write something that good one day. The best part about the story though is that my one of my two favorite subjects of study is history. I know a good amount of Irish history so I got all the references and was able to explain them to my class as we talked about it.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, we were given a selection of 7 of the best short stories to read for a college credit exam and that’s 1 of the 4 I choose to read. The way that piece makes me feel is one of the reasons I love being a writer. My hope is to able to write something that good one day. The best part about the story though is that my one of my two favorite subjects of study is history. I know a good amount of Irish history so I got all the references and was able to explain them to my class as we talked about it.

That's awesome! Do you think you might study creative writing?

2 hours ago, ofan said:

What if you compared it to tennis? A country that does not care about tennis would no doubt prefer a grand slam win over an Olympic championship, assuming they win medals in other sports like Slovakia does

well, the biggest slovak tennis success was the olympic gold in 1988 and this is still mentioned as the boost of this sport in the country, Hantuchová always claimed that it´s watching Mečíř winning gold in Seoul what influenced her to start this sport

• 2 weeks later...