website statistics

Equestrian FEI Eventing Nations Cup 2019

Totallympics

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

Whether it's a 100/200 points or 1000 points isn't the result essentially the same? I doubt a team could make up the gap without hoping other teams already received the penalty as well.

I guess the idea was to create some sort of contest for those who get troubles on cross-country, rather than just putting 1000 penalties and ending it there.

Additionally, with substitutions involved it becomes possible to avoid a disaster during the second inspection.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

I guess the idea was to create some sort of contest for those who get troubles on cross-country, rather than just putting 1000 penalties and ending it there.

Additionally, with substitutions involved it becomes possible to avoid a disaster during the second inspection.

But 200 points might as well be 1000 points, no team is going to recover from that.

The 20 point penalty for substitutions seems fair though

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

Random thought, is there a nation where it would be worth sending in their best dressage pair, take the 20 point penalty and substitute their third best eventing pair for the rest of the competition?

Well, their best dressage pair would still need to have minimum requirements in order to start. Still, I can't see any nation for whom such strategy would pay off. Maybe USA or Switzerland, as their best jumping combinations right now are not that great in dressage, but it's debatable.

I'm guessing that selectors will completely ignore dressage form while picking a travelling reserve. So this could open the doors for someone who would never be considered before, like Imogen Murray & Ivar Gooden of Great Britain, who often complete the event on their dressage score of 38-40...

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Well, their best dressage pair would still need to have minimum requirements in order to start. Still, I can't see any nation for whom such strategy would pay off. Maybe USA or Switzerland, as their best jumping combinations right now are not that great in dressage, but it's debatable.

I'm guessing that selectors will completely ignore dressage form while picking a travelling reserve. So this could open the doors for someone who would never be considered before, like Imogen Murray & Ivar Gooden of Great Britain, who often complete the event on their dressage score of 38-40...

Forgot about the minimum requirement, that stops those kinds of shenanigans. The second point is interesting, pick a strong cross-country/jumper as a back-up is a good strategy