website statistics

Equestrian FEI Eventing Nations Cup 2019

Totallympics

17 hours ago, dcro said:

Andrew Nicholson shared an interesting point of view regarding the new Olympic team format.

"This way is going to make it very exciting. You’ve got to try to get three clear rounds – they don’t have to go flat out. I think it’ll be very difficult for some riders to take team orders, and I think it’ll be difficult for team managers, but I can see it looking very exciting. It puts a lot of pressure on the riders. I’ve thought for years that it’s odd that riders at the Olympics win medals for doing a bad job, sometimes – I’ve done it myself, but you don’t see any of the other sports do that. In a relay race, if you drop the baton, you’re out – so making all three scores count is more the way sport is in the Olympic Games. Everyone has to do their best.”

On the downside it means that you are dependent on all three horses getting through unscathed as all have to count. It means there is now a greater element of luck involved. Perhaps the reason the equestrian events were different to events like the athletics relay is that you are dependent on another living creature rather than a replaceable piece of equipment. Just playing devil's advocate but I suspect that there will be at least one leading nation loses out on a medal after being forced to withdraw an animal after the cross country element. 

Just now, Nickyc707 said:

On the downside it means that you are dependent on all three horses getting through unscathed as all have to count. It means there is now a greater element of luck involved. Perhaps the reason the equestrian events were different to events like the athletics relay is that you are dependent on another living creature rather than a replaceable piece of equipment. Just playing devil's advocate but I suspect that there will be at least one leading nation loses out on a medal after being forced to withdraw an animal after the cross country element. 

I’m mean who’s to say that’s horses aren’t replaceable pieces of equipment. You train it, then ride it, have it “make friends” with another world class horse, and then recycle it by dropping it off at the glue factory. And so the cycle continues.

For the record, I’m interested in this new format. I agree with a lot of @dcro’s logic on it. I always thought it was odd that someone could do super bad, but still some win a gold medal. I think making the Olympic competition more difficult is in the sports interest. A little added drama can go a long way.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Well, they can bring forward a substitution in such unlikely case, which does not necessarily prevent them from being contenders. I prefer that over someone like Julia Krajewski bringing home a medal despite getting eliminated for 3 refusals. :wacko:

New Zealand took 20 penalties for a substitution here, and yet they finished ahead of 3 nations who did not bring subs. Hell, Germany could have still easily won had they brought in a sub.

#banbestmen

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

I’m mean who’s to say that’s horses aren’t replaceable pieces of equipment. You train it, then ride it, have it “make friends” with another world class horse, and then recycle it by dropping it off at the glue factory. And so the cycle continues.

Yeah, that is literally nobody's mindset. :p

#banbestmen

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

For the record, I’m interested in this new format. I agree with a lot of @dcro’s logic on it. I always thought it was odd that someone could do super bad, but still some win a gold medal. I think making the Olympic competition more difficult is in the sports interest. A little added drama can go a long way.

I meant they are not replaceable during the event unlike say a bicycle during the road race or time trial. I just wonder if we'll all be saying it is entirely fair if a nation gets through the cross country phase with three clear rounds and is comfortably leading the competition but is then forced to withdraw following the intervention of the veterinarians. As I say I'm just playing devil's advocate as I don't believe it is directly comparable with other sports. In any event there are are other events where an individual can perform poorly and still get a medal and I'm thinking particularly of all the other team sports.

Just now, dcro said:

Well, they can bring forward a substitution in such unlikely case, which does not necessarily prevent them from being contenders. I prefer that over someone like Julia Krajewski bringing home a medal despite getting eliminated for 3 refusals. :wacko:

New Zealand took 20 penalties for a substitution here, and yet they finished ahead of 3 nations who did not bring subs. Hell, Germany could have still easily won had they brought in a sub.

I didn't know that they could use a replacement. Is that a new rule? In the past they were not able to do so.

I didn't know that they could use a replacement. Is that a new rule? In the past they were not able to do so.

yes, it's a new rule brought in with this new format...and using a replacement, it costs "only" 20 pens, which doesn't kill your chances at 100%

to me, this new format is better than the previous one...I'm always against discarded scores...if you're competing, your score must count...

5 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Yes, it's a new rule. Instead of getting 100 penalties for a withdrawal, teams have an option to make a substitution for 20 penalties.

Every team will be allowed to have a travelling reserve (which was already the case at previous Olympics, only now the reserves have a more active role...).

#banbestmen