website statistics

Equestrian FEI Eventing Nations Cup 2019

Totallympics

Belgians have secured Top 3 after cross-country! By far their best cross-country performance in years, and right when they really needed it.

Switzerland can still defend their qualification though. Netherlands are out.

#banbestmen

Standings after Cross-country...

:GER 78.10

:AUS 114.30

:BEL 117.50

:JPN 120.20

:SUI 125.90

:NZL 128.40

:GBR 138.20

:FRA 292.50

:USA 292.90

:SWE 340.40

:NED 342.40

:IRL 503.60

Virtual Olympic qualification rankings...

:SUI 380 (ahead on tie-break)

:BEL 380

:NED 355 (out)

So despite incredible 3rd place overnight, Belgians still miss out on tie-break. Granted, Swiss had the second best overall team cross-country round today.

In any case, another equestrian qualification nail-biter is coming up tomorrow. :evil:

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Andrew Nicholson shared an interesting point of view regarding the new Olympic team format.

"This way is going to make it very exciting. You’ve got to try to get three clear rounds – they don’t have to go flat out. I think it’ll be very difficult for some riders to take team orders, and I think it’ll be difficult for team managers, but I can see it looking very exciting. It puts a lot of pressure on the riders. I’ve thought for years that it’s odd that riders at the Olympics win medals for doing a bad job, sometimes – I’ve done it myself, but you don’t see any of the other sports do that. In a relay race, if you drop the baton, you’re out – so making all three scores count is more the way sport is in the Olympic Games. Everyone has to do their best.”

#banbestmen

Meanwhile, :BEL vs :SUI battle will continue with show jumping today. Switzerland very much has an upper hand though, for two reasons. First, they are already guaranteed to win any tie-break scenario over Belgium. Second, it's pretty much impossible for them to drop below 7th place.

There are three options for the Belgians:

• If they stay 3rd, then they would need Switzerland to drop to 6th or lower.
  • If they move up to 2nd, then they would need Switzerland to stay 5th or lower.
  • If they drop to 4th, then it's game over as Switzerland should finish no lower than 7th.

I can see Switzerland losing a place or two. But then again, Belgians are by no means safe in their position.

In any case, complete jumping round will be streamed here. First session is at 11 a.m., while the second one (including team rotations) starts at 2 p.m. local time...

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen