website statistics

Canada at the 2022 FINA World Championships

So now we officially know who'll be starting in each event at world championships. Summer McIntosh scratches the 200m Freestyle from her list of events. Taylor Ruck will swim in her place instead. So we have the following entries in each individual event below. Saturday can't come soon enough.

Men:

50m Freestyle: Yuri Kisil, Joshua Liendo

100m Freestyle: Ruslan Gaziev, Joshua Liendo

200m Freestyle: Ruslan Gaziev

400m Freestyle: Jeremy Bagshaw

50m Backstroke: Javier Acevedo

100m Backstroke: Javier Acevedo

200m Backstroke: Richie Stokes

50m Breaststroke: James Dergousoff

100m Breaststroke: James Dergousoff

200m Breaststroke: James Dergousoff

50m Butterfly: Joshua Liendo

100m Butterfly: Finlay Knox, Joshua Liendo

20m Butterfly: Patrick Hussey

200m IM: Finlay Knox

400m IM: Collyn Gagne

Women:

50m Freestyle: Kayla Sanchez

100m Freestyle: Penny Oleksiak, Kayla Sanchez

200m Freestyle: Penny Oleksiak, Taylor Ruck

400m Freestyle: Summer McIntosh

800m Freestyle: Katrina Bellio

1500m Freestyle: Katrina Bellio, Abby Dunford

50m Backstroke: Kylie Masse, Ingrid Wilm

100m Backstroke: Kylie Masse, Taylor Ruck

200m Backstroke: Kylie Masse, Taylor Ruck

50m Breaststroke: Rachel Nicol

100m Breaststroke: Sophie Angus

200m Breaststroke: Kelsey Wog

50m Butterfly: Katerine Savard

100m Butterfly: Katerine Savard, Rebecca Smith

200m Butterfly: Summer McIntosh

200m IM: Mary-Sophie Harvey, Sydney Pickrem

400m IM: Tessa Cieplucha, Summer McIntosh

Waiting for the evening swim session, I was just going through some of the times from the morning vs Tokyo.  I had another look at the men's 4x100 relay, the one Canada finished a close 4th in.  Obviously it was Chalmers' last leg that got AUS ahead of Canada, but the numbers are something else.  

Chalmers had the fasted time in the relay by far (a quarter of a second ahead of Apple's 2nd fastest,  7/10 of a second ahead of Canada's Kisil's 3rd fastest).  

If Chalmers went slow enough for Canada to remain in 3rd at the end, he still would have had the 2nd fastest time comfortably.  

Chalmers' 56.44 was the fastest 100 at the Olympics since Lezak's inhuman's time (46.06) in 2008 in his anchor leg to get Phelps' his 8th gold, and 2nd fastest ever.  And remember, 2008 was during the fast suit era.

Canada's time in Tokyo would have got them on the podium in every Olympics except 2008, again the fast suit era.  

The reason I find all this interesting is because I feel like the men's 4th place is often overlooked, but it was completely unexpected and without a crazy last leg from Chalmers would have gotten them on the podium last year.  Here's hoping they can do something special in Budapest, even though I know it's not likely.  

4 minutes ago, orangeman said:

The reason I find all this interesting is because I feel like the men's 4th place is often overlooked, but it was completely unexpected and without a crazy last leg from Chalmers would have gotten them on the podium last year.  Here's hoping they can do something special in Budapest, even though I know it's not likely.  

Yeah, it would have been a shocking medal had they pulled it off. I feel the men's program is recovering a bit and while they may not get medals again, I am hoping for a few final appearances.

Not bad for Day 1 preliminaries.

Our artistic swimming team is done dominating in the Pan American region. Scores don't change really in a quad, so it looks like Canada is headed to qualifying no one in this sport for Paris. 

Interesting, looks like Liendo is going to lead off the relay in the final. Order is Liendo-Gaziev-Acevedo-Kisil. I guess the goal is to get among the leaders early and try to hang on.

Also women's relay lineup is Sanchez-Ruck-MacNeil-Oleksiak.