website statistics

Men's Water Polo Tournament at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2022

Totallympics

Truly terrible match for us, this was embarrassing at home, in Budapest. Just like in the semi-final against Greece in Tokyo, the entire team simply capitulated, many errors from everyone. I don't understand what's going on with this Hungarian team, they are throwing away important matches. 

(And just for the record, Italy was leading by 4 goals before the final two minutes, the final result isn't ugly because they pretty much let us score goals when it was already over)

With Serbia and Hungary out, we are the only medalists from last year's Olympics that advanced to the semifinals. It's a big opportunity for us...

Our senior men's team has won 13 medals across all competitions (including Olympics and World Championships, World League etc), but never a gold (not even in Mediterranean Games).

Our goalkeeper got injured today and had to be replaced in the second period, I hope he will be okay to play the rest of the tournament because his replacement is not as good and it shows...

On 6/29/2022 at 8:01 PM, Makedonas said:

Our goalkeeper got injured today and had to be replaced in the second period, I hope he will be okay to play the rest of the tournament because his replacement is not as good and it shows...

Zerdevas is officially out for the rest of the tournament. Sadly I think that totally ruins our chances to win gold. At this point I'll be happy with a bronze...

and it's Italy vs Spain once again, just like 3 years ago...

Spain have been really impressive so far, they already beat Italy in the group stage and dominated all of their opponents in the knockout phase, givin'up very few goals (the only team scoring 10+ goals against them is Italy)...

Italy have shown great personality so far and they've been capable of adapting very well to different kind of tactics used by our opponents in the previous matches...

since it's not the Olympics, I think we have a chance to repeat ourselves and go back-to-back...

we'll see on Sunday afternoon...:fingers:

So we lost 11-10 to Italy in the semifinals :cry:

I hate to say it but I was right. We needed Zerdevas. Tzortzatos simply isn't good enough, and some of the goals he conceded surely would've been stopped by Zerdevas. There is a reason that Tzortzatos is 30 yo and only now is getting called up to the national team for the first time ever...

Bronze for our boys! In the end it's a good result so I can't complain. Only the third time we won a medal at the World Championships (we also won bronze in 2005 and 2015).

I think we would be playing for the gold tonight if Zerdevas wasn't injured, but hopefully he will be okay for the European Championships next month.