website statistics

Women's Water Polo Tournament at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2022

Totallympics

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The women's tournament is really missing :CHN and :RUS (I guess Japan too). Already a bunch of 20+ goal victories on the first day of competition.

Why are China and Japan not there? I see they withdrew, but I don't know why

9th time in a row that our girls are through to the quarterfinals :thumbup:

We needed to beat France by 11 or more. We led 13-4 with less than two minutes to go, then our 17 yo Christina Siouti and 19 yo Eirini Ninou each scored to make it 15-4 and give us first place in the group :yes

Quarter-finals are known:

:ITA vs. :FRA 

:USA vs. :ESP

:AUS vs. :HUN 

:GRE vs. :NED

Quarter-finals in the bottom half are definitely more interesting. :ITA vs. :USA is the most likely semi from the top half, whereas any of the four countries in the bottom half have reasonable chances to make it to the second semi. Matches are scheduled for Tuesday.

So we will play against the Dutch, who have a Greek coach. He said in an interview on a Greek site that his two biggest wins as a coach were both against Greece :cry: (2018 European Championships final and 2020 Olympic qualifier playoff when we choked our lead and failed to score a single goal in the third and fourth periods...)

Our team is doing great but I just wonder if we could be doing even better with Diamantopoulou and Eleftheriadou, who both skipped the tournament due to "personal reasons." There might be more to it as Diamantopoulou wasn't competing in the World League this year either.

Stamatopoulou is a great replacement in goal for Diamantopoulou though, and the three Plevritou sisters are doing great as is Xenaki. And the young girls like Myriokefalitaki and Ninou are stepping up as they should.

Actually, 27 yo Margarita Plevritou and 25 yo Eleftheria Plevritou are the oldest players on the team, everyone else is 24 or younger. Even if Diamantopoulou played, she's only 26 (and Eleftheriadou is 24) so no matter what at least we can be positive about our young team.

I think it will be a close game today. The Dutch are also a very young team with a few new faces that joined after Tokyo. And I feel like Greece and the Netherlands are usually around the same level in waterpolo, competing for those last few Olympic qualifying spots the past couple of Games.

:NED - :HUN and :ITA - :USA in the semi finals.

Apparently a 17 years old Dutch girl is topscorer of the tournament so far, Lola Moolhuizen. Somehow our waterpolo team always finds new young talents that rise really quickly (and sometimes retire really quickly as well). True test for the team comes now versus more experienced opposition I guess.

Very strange match yesterday, Australia played well for the first quarter, scored three goals and then they were so focused on the defense that they couldn't score any more goals for the next two quarters. Our girls were very nervous and missed many opportunities, this could have been an easier match for us. 

Big opportunity coming up against the Dutch, we haven't been in a WCh final since 2005. But we win SFs so rarely... Since 2005 we reached the SF in 14 big international events (SOG, WCh, ECh) and we only won one (at the 2016 ECh).